• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

I have been using the same regular size and mini lens pen since 1998. Do They have a shelf life limit or can I go on using them indefinitely?

#2 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

I would think they accumulate a certain amount of crud in them after a while. How long? Who knows? I get a new one every year.

#3 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

I've used mine equally that long. But I do have new ones. The sponge inside has enough black graphite to handle quite a bit of so called gunk. My eyepiece lenses put under a magnifier show no fine scraches either. I endorse their usage. ;) Mike

#4 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

I use a brand new lens pen to clean my bino prisms which is only once every few years really, and to clean the edges of the objective on my FS152 which I clean about twice a year or less.

I believe a scratch in the coating of an 11T6 eyepiece I once owned was caused by a used lens pen.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

I've used mine for years, never had a problem, a scratch, etc. I am always careful to dust off the surface carefully with canned air, and the brush before using the cleaning tip, however. Since, in real terms, they are used very infrequently, they will last a long, long time. My experience is that the cleaning tip comes off long before there's a problem with dirt, running out of the cleaning stuff, etc.

#6 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

I have a set of 3 of these and have yet to use them. Guess I have been afraid of scratching my eyepieces. Do they really work that well? I got them for my Dslr lenses and would like to use them on my eyepieces too, just too cautious maybe.

#7 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Used when necessary and no problem at all!

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

I have a set of 3 of these and have yet to use them. Guess I have been afraid of scratching my eyepieces. Do they really work that well? I got them for my Dslr lenses and would like to use them on my eyepieces too, just too cautious maybe.

Yes, they work well. No, they won't scratch anything if used properly. As above, just dust the surface with air or the brush before cleaning.

#9 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Thanks MAURTIS and Rod. I will give them a try as a lot of my eyepieces could use a cleaning and have been afraid of using any cleaning solution for fear of moisture getting between the elements.

#10 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

Tim, read the instruction BEFORE you use them! :graduate:
Works great, but I buy every year a new one.......

#11 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

I have used them for years, a couple of things though, their are counterfeight ones out there and like any cleaning system use common sense, if dust and grit is on the surface being cleaned then any cleaning tool will cause scratches. Lots of optical companies are selling these now and I can,t imagine these companies not checking them out thoroughly before endorsing.
Also check the end pad from time to time, if in doubt, chuck it out,DA.

#12 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

I love the lens pen but HOW DOES IT WORK???

Tanveer

#13 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

I have used them for years, a couple of things though, their are counterfeight ones out there and like any cleaning system use common sense, if dust and grit is on the surface being cleaned then any cleaning tool will cause scratches. Lots of optical companies are selling these now and I can,t imagine these companies not checking them out thoroughly before endorsing.
Also check the end pad from time to time, if in doubt, chuck it out,DA.

Truth. I wound up with a "fake" lenspen from a big box sporting goods store. The pad was actually wool felt. The brush on the other end was extremely course.

Only buying ones that have the Lenspen brand name on them now.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics