• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ontherivet

ontherivet

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Republic of Boulder, CO

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

I have an Orion EQ-G (Atlas) and when I'm going through alignment stars and slewing about often in one direction the mount will continue to coast after I have stopped sending slew commands. I am an imager so once I've settled on a target this isn't an issue but I suspect that this "coasting" is telling something about either my balance or some other configuration aspect. I have so little time with clear skies that I haven't tried to diagnose. Any thoughts?

#2 CA Stargazer

CA Stargazer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Milpitas, California

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

I saw what you describe on my old Sirius mount.
Would not have expected to see this on my new Atlas Pro AZ, but I did notice this last night on my second alignment star, minimized it my ending the alignment with up-arrow and right-arrow before proceeding to third star.
My best guess was some weird backlash pointing to that area of the sky (Dubhe)
Scope and cameras were very well balanced.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

The only times I've seen this, it's either been an HC cable problem or wrongly entered backlash compensation values.

#4 ontherivet

ontherivet

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

thanks for the ideas. i never use the HC, everything I do is through EQMOD via game contoller through Alignmaster or Sky Safari. I've never entered any backlash comp into EQMOD. Should I? I'm using PHD to guide. Or is this really a non-issue as far as pointing accuracy and guiding are concerned?

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

In backlash, there's a delay before the mount start moving, not before it stops. As a troubleshooting measure, I'd see what the mount does with the HC.

#6 ontherivet

ontherivet

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

Will try the HC after I replace the MC board. I half-fried it and it only works with EQDIR. I have the new board in hand.

Which version of HC firmware these days? I've heard conflicting reports of the latest off the Skywatcher site (3.35) as being a problem and folks rolling back?

Thanks for the input.

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have not had the chance to try the new firmware under the stars, but, yes, I've heard the same things. I'd stick with whatever's presently loaded in your HC for testing purposes...

#8 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

My mount appears to be doing this in one direction. It appears mechanical to me as the drift slows until it finally stops. However mines under very high magnification when centering a planets for imaging. This is with a CGE.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics