Celestron Advanced GT Mount Maybe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ke4kso

ke4kso

Explorer 1

• Loc: Chiefland Fl.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

I may pick one of these up pretty cheap, Anything to watch out for when I test it? I assume it will program like my NexStar 8 se mount to fake alignment for testing. Thanks David http://www.celestron...ized-mount.html

#2 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

The CG-5 ASGT was selling for $500.00 just a bit ago I think
Kasey

#3 ke4kso

ke4kso

Explorer 1

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

I am going to look at a used one tomorrow, supposed to be like new, used only once, And its much less than 500.00 Im just hoping the wind wont affect it as much as my single arm NexStar mount and everything is ok with it. I have been reading up on it and they seem to be good mounts for the most part. Thanks David

#4 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

I just purchased CG-5 ASGT a bit ago and mounted my de-forked C-9.25 on it and it seems to be good for me. I had heard the larger arpeture ST were prone to vibrations... Just not sure how old the std CG-5 GT as opposed to the CG-5 ASGT is,, hope all works out well
Kasey

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Kasey,

There was the original CG-5 (introduced waaay back - something like 15+ years ago) which was available in manual or dual motor versions (but no goto). This mount was on an aluminum leg tripod. Around 10 years ago Celestron introduced the Advanced series of scopes. They refreshed the CG-5 with the NexStar goto (using new motors) and a nice heavy tripod with 2" steel legs. They called this heavier refreshed version the GT or the Advanced series GT (ASGT). This new heavier version was also available for a while as a manual (no motors) mount.

Just to make things a bit confusing some folks have referred to the manual version of this refreshed CG-5 as the GT and the goto version as the ASGT. Celestron's bundled model names are a bit different ... a C8 ota on a goto CG-5 is an Advanced series product but is referred to as a C8-SGT.

There, clear as mud ... lol.

#6 ke4kso

ke4kso

Explorer 1

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Bought the mount 225.00 came with a 17 ah booster pack 25 foot dc cord and an extra dovetail, last date in the hc was 2010. Had some problems at first, but after a factory reset it worked fime. I don't have my cables with me to do mc hc update but I will be home in a couple of weeks so it will get the updates then. This thing is much more stable than the se single arm. but I will prob be using the single arm mount most of the time. I may try to figger out a way to mount the se mount on the asgt tripod. Thanks guys

#7 spencerj

spencerj

Apollo

• Loc: Londonderry, NH

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Great deal. The CG-5 is a very solid and dependable mount for the money.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics