• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zymon

zymon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hi - This looks a great devise but its says wifi. When your outside you cant be login to other poeples wifi network? Im hoping the wifi bit is only wifi between the divise and the ipad - it this the case (IE: no wifi account needed)???

#2 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:24 AM

Hi Zymon,

you mean this: SKYQ

and here is a thread about it: HERE

:waytogo:

#3 zymon

zymon

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

Hey Thanks - unfortunately I still cant confirm if it runs on your house wifi - the item would be a bit useless if it did!

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

The hardware dongle used in SkyQ link is basically a serial communication over IP over WiFi "data transport - only" device, while in USB end is a USB-serial emulation. In the old days, it's called "reverse telnet". It's a little bit modern now to add the WiFi on one end and USB to the other.

SkyQ seems to have two user selectable options:
- WiFi ad-hoc mode (one to one direct-link, without needing an Access Point serving as a central hub), or
- WiFi client mode (need to connect to your home network's Access Point in order to be reached from other)

Bottom-line is that it is used to pass mount control signal (handbox - no cord, handbox-like, tablet direct-mount control, or PC direct-mount control) wirelessly.
It has no direct relationship to astrovideo.
You'll get better response from equipment or mount subforums.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hey Thanks - unfortunately I still cant confirm if it runs on your house wifi - the item would be a bit useless if it did!

You house's Wi-Fi has nothing to do with it.

#6 Larry F

Larry F

Vanguard

• Loc: Westchester, NY

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

It's a hub...it's its own wi-fi.

You can't get to the Internet from it. Entirely local.

People with iPhones will see it as a connection, but I assume SkyQ sets up a password so that others can't control your scope. That's what Orion StarSeek does. I know it works because at our last star party an 8 year-old girl came up to me with her iPhone, showed me my scope's network on her Settings/WiFi screen and asked if I "knew the WEP for this network"...she wanted an Internet connection to text her friends. I had to explain to her that it's the scope and it doesn't connect with the Internet. She walked away a little angry, I'm sure thinking that I and it were pretty useless! It also scares me a little that 8 year-olds know what WEPs are.

#7 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

Ad-hoc mode does not require a hub and there is no "hub" concept in the picture. It's one to one relationship (point tp point link.)
You can tell the little girl she's welcome to "talk" with your telescope, since it's a private one-to-one club.

BTW, I found the Celestron SkyQ info (supports two modes.) Naturally, ad-hoc mode is more popular. Sorry did not write down the link.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#8 zymon

zymon

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

I noticed that the skyQ plugs in on top of the mount. Will this not get in the way when the tube is vertical?

How does the software compare with the Sky Safari software - anyone know?

#9 zymon

zymon

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Has anyone encountered the problem where the skyQ is plugged into the Nexstar so that when you move tube to virtical it will hit the skyQ?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics