7 replies to this topic

#1 ngc 9999

ngc 9999

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sunrise, Fl. 26 degrees N

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hello,

I got a 114mm powerseeker as a gift, but it came with a poor 5x24 finder that I want to replace. I wonder If I'm going to need a special base or bracket to install the finder. The telescope I have is the same as in this link:http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=872.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

Hello,

I got a 114mm powerseeker as a gift, but it came with a poor 5x24 finder that I want to replace. I wonder If I'm going to need a special base or bracket to install the finder. The telescope I have is the same as in this link:http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=872.

Hi:

I can't be sure but from what I can see, the current finder attaches directly to the telescope with screws. When you replace it, you will need to also purchase a dovetail bracket to fit the scope. If you decide on a finder like the Telrad or Rigel, they come with their own dovetails.

Otherwise you will need to purchase the correct dovetail for your finder. The vast majority use the standard Vixen/Celestron/Orion dovetail.

Used finders are often available on Astromart or in the Cloudy Nights Shop and Swap.

By the way, the common 5x24 finders are normally stopped down to about 10mm, they are typically just a single lens. Some people use remove the the optics all together but leave the cross-hairs and just use the finder as a sighting tube.

Jon

#3 Wol

Wol

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth Western Australia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

You may wish to consider a Rigel Quickfinder instead.

regards

#4 ngc 9999

ngc 9999

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

How do I know which could be the right dovetail bracket?

#5 ngc 9999

ngc 9999

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

And I need a magnifying finder since I live in a light polluted area.

#6 Ravenous

Ravenous

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Does the finder have a removable section that might fit into one of these?:

http://www.firstligh...nting-shoe.html

(Note this example is a UK dealer but of course they're available in the US too.)

Or if you're able to link to a detailed picture of the finder mount, somebody here might recognise it and confirm it's one of these common types.

By the way I have made simple, if tacky looking dovetails by cutting a strip of hardwood and planing off two corners... ugly but if it works...

#7 Wol

Wol

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth Western Australia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

From my experience (which matches I think Jon's), any standard GSO/Skywatcher/Orion dovetail bracket will fit the two holes for your finder, but you may find that your plastic 5x24 was retained by very fine bolts which might need replacing with something wider. Ask whoever supplies you with the finder to supply the right size dovetail bracket.

You may find in badly light-polluted skies that you are unable to point your finder in the right direction, thus my recommendation for the Quickfinder, which is light and cheap, and will enable you to get the finder in the right general area. YMMV. Good luck

regards

#8 ngc 9999

ngc 9999

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Wol,

I looked the GSO finder and the two holes in the included bracket fits my telescope, that's the one I need. But is GSO the less costly option?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics