CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does TFOV change when Barlow added?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lagagnon

lagagnon

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver Island

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have calculated the True Field of View of my 4 eyepieces using the stellar drift method. Now I am wondering if I add my 2X Barlow to any of these will the TFOV change?

I am assuming it will as the diameter of the Barlow lens is probably different than that within the eyepieces??

Larry

#2 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

YES. You don't get to effectively halve the focal-length of an eyepiece (and double the magnification) without the inescapable corollary of also cutting in half the diameter of the TFOV of the native eyepiece. A 2x barlow, in principle, effectively creates a virtual eyepiece of half the focal-length of the native eyepiece, with all the accompanying parameters. In practice, this is not quite true, since the eye relief may change with a barlow, which is one advantage of using a modified (but usually more expensive) design, which (in the Televue brand version thereof) is called a "Powermate".

BTW: don't confuse a 2x barlow with a 2x focal reducer, which changes the effective focal-length (and focal-ratio) of the telescope itself, rather than the eyepiece it is used with. Shortening the focal-ratio of a telescope does have the effect of correspondingly increasing the true field of view yielded by any given focal-length of eyepiece used with the scope, but again there is no free lunch; any given focal-length eyepiece used in a telescope with e.g. a 2x focal reducer will also correspondingly yield only half the magnification it did at the telescope's native focal-length & focal-ratio. And so, if an eyepiece of given focal-length is used in a telescope equipped with a 2x focal-reducer, you would need a 4x barlow to reach the same magnification you could without the 2x focal reducer, but the same eyepiece/same telescope/2x barlow.

Bottom line: NO FREE OPTICAL LUNCH.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics