Sellers Remorse?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ok, remorse is too strong of a word but I can't think of a better one. I stopped using my 17mm Nagler when I got my 13mm Ethos. I sold the 17mm because I didn't use it anymore. Now that I don't have it I wish I could use it! :p I don't know why. If I still had it I still wouldn't be using it and I would just sell it. But something about not being able to use it is driving me nuts. I can't explain why I wish I had an eyepiece that I don't use but somehow I have a feeling that people in this forum understand completely. :lol: It was my favorite eyepiece until I got the 13mm Ethos. Oh well, I put the money to good use.

#2 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Probably best to keep every eyepiece you can. But I know I've had to sell eyepieces in the past to fund other things. In fact I had to sell a 17 type 4 in the past. I unfortunately have no Naglers any more. I had the 17 type 4, 26mm Type 5 (really nice), and the 13mm Type 6 (didn't really like it). I also had a paracorr back then to make the 26mm work it's best. But ultimately I sold them to fund something.

There is always the used market. You can sometimes find good deals on the Naglers. I've been officially cut off of AM and CN classifieds for a good amount of time. Was crazy addicted lately.

#3 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Think of this place as a support group. I've definitely been there. The day after I sold off my complete set of original Celestron Ultimas (yes...including the 24mm) I thought to myself, "What did I do?!?"

Life goes on. I enjoy my Naglers. They are the highest quality EP's I've owned to date. But admittedly, the sale of that Ultima set does haunt me to this day...until I place my 26T5 into the focuser. :grin:

Hang in there. Time heals wounds. ;)

#4 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

I stopped using my 17mm Nagler when I got my 13mm Ethos.

Same thing happened here, too. Haven't looked back, at least not yet. But i've gotta admit, the 17T4 is about the highest rated of the Naglers, T4 or otherwise. Some very special chemistry there... "immersion" is the term that comes to mind. Those two EPs have about the same net field- the 17T4 offers that cherished sense of immersion, whereas the 13E offers a clinically "better" view- higher magnification, and prob'ly more advanced coatings & design finesse. Yet it doesn't vanish from the experience & leave you floating in deep space, like the 17T4 can do.

At this point i'm still learning to use, enjoy, and appreciate the 13E & its benefits. To me, depending on what i'm viewing (15" Dob, 153x, 2.5mm Exp, 2/3 degree field), the 13E (+P/C ;)) could stay in the focuser all night! Was NEVER even tempted to try that with the 17T4. But i'm betting that's largely scope dependent?

Enjoy that 13E! :waytogo:

#5 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

That'll learn ya!

#6 karstenkoch

karstenkoch

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: GMT+9

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

I've never looked through either a 17T4 or a 13E, but I still feel that I understand completely. I felt that way after selling my Nikon D70, which I replaced with with a Nikon D5100. The D5100 did 9 out of 10 things better, so why did I long so much for a 9 year old digital camera? I think my longing was not based in an objective comparison of the two cameras but in remembering how much I enjoyed using the D70 and how much of a quality leap it was from my previous cameras. I was comparing my D70 plus all of my D70 experiences to a D5100 plus very few D5100 experiences. I think as you build the number of awesome experiences under the stars with your 13E, the sting of selling the 17T4 will lessen.

#7 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

I have a feeling that people in this forum understand completely. :lol:

Yes, most of us do. Been there; done that - and still feel the remorse of selling a few. :p

I finally realized with all of my eye problems that I wasn't going to be using my ZAO-II any more, so I let them go. Yes, they were expensive paperweights, but I still miss them. :lol:

Most of my sales have been driven by scope sales. If I don't have the instrument to use the eyepiece, I usually swap around for eyepieces I need - especially if the eyepieces are still in production. I sold my 17T4, then picked up another one when I needed it. My 13 mm Ethos will never be sold (Christmas present from my wife).

I don't start worrying about them until they go out of production. Which explains my stash of CZJ, SPL, and the set of Pentax XW I picked up right after the tsunami.

Cheers,

Ron

#8 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

"Think of this place as a support group."

You're in a heap o' trouble now........... :lol:

#9 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

The road goes in two directions, one way leads to "moving on", the other to
"hoarding " ( or collecting as many on these forums say). :roflmao:
Rex

#10 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

Not me, once its gone, its gone.

#11 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Apollo

• Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Not me, once its gone, its gone.

I'm a bit more of a hoarder...

Jaimo!

#12 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

I've sold 77 eyepieces since last October. I've never regretted selling any of them. I don't get these sentimental feelings for inanimate objects. :shrug:

Eyepieces are tools. When I no longer need the tools or have acquired better tools, why should I feel any sentimentality toward the ones I've sold? The only problem is making sure I don't really need the eyepieces I sell and that the ones I'm keeping are clearly better than the ones I'm selling.

For instance, I have bino pairs of Paradigm 12mm and Brandon 12mm, BGO 18mm and LER 18mm. Which should I keep, which should I sell? There seems to be obvious redundancy, but each pair appears to present some objects better than the others. So I haven't sold any of them yet.

Mike

#13 ibase

ibase

Aurora

• Loc: Manila, Philippines 121°E 14°N

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

To avoid seller's remorse, don't sell anything - haven't done so for years! :foreheadslap: (but did a trade for ONE ep) :grin:

Best,

#14 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

And you don't get "Keeper's Remorse" then? :D My collection is fairly new so it would take me a while before I decide to sell anything. But I think I would only if I really needed the money or if I knew I wasn't going to use it again. I would find it hard to sell if I thought I might use it again. All my eyepieces so far have a unique "flavor" even if they are the same focal length but there may come a point where I know I won't use one any more.

#15 ibase

ibase

Aurora

• Loc: Manila, Philippines 121°E 14°N

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

And you don't get "Keeper's Remorse" then? :D

Nope, none at all. :lol:

My collection is fairly new so it would take me a while before I decide to sell anything.

Let it grow! :)

<snip> All my eyepieces so far have a unique "flavor" even if they are the same focal length <snip>

True, for ex., here are some 6mm's in the collection:

Posted Image
Delos 6mm, Meade UWA82 6.7mm, TMB Planetary 6mm, BGO 6mm, Baader Classic Ortho 6mm

Yes, each and every one of them has its own unique "flavor" just waiting to be savored. :)

Best,

#16 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

Ok, I do a 6.7 MM Meade UWA and a 6 MM Radian, but the day that ES has the 5.5 MM 100, good bye to both...

Although the Radian is a collectors item and has good eye relief....

Man, this EP keeping selling thing is hard ;)

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Nah, the keeping part is easy....it's the obtaining part that's hard.....

#18 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Ok, remorse is too strong of a word but I can't think of a better one. I stopped using my 17mm Nagler when I got my 13mm Ethos. I sold the 17mm because I didn't use it anymore. Now that I don't have it I wish I could use it! :p I don't know why.

I did exactly the same thing. Then after a couple of seasons of using Ethos I realized I really didn't like the 100 AFOV (it seems like a gimmick or fatiguing distraction now) and cursed myself for letting the 17T4 and 12T4 go.

But what to do? I have since replaced the 13 Ethos with a 14 Delos, which is better than Ethos ergonomically and contrast-wise. With the re-alignment of my eyepiece focal length progression, and 17 mm is now the "half step" between 22 mm and 14 mm.

Ethos was a bit sharper than the 17T4, but now Delos is better than Ethos and my rational brain tells me getting another 17T4 would be two steps back and a mistake born of nostalgia.

So, I opted for the compromise - I picked up a 22T4 since I know there will be no Delos at that length.

The only issue is I already have a 22 Panoptic. Using those two eyepieces head-to-head it has not been the slam-dunk I thought it would be with the 22 Pan holding up rather well in my f/8.5 AP refractor (and with considerably less weight). When I get the f/7 Newtonian online in the coming days the story may change. Just to be sure I'll spend the summer (and maybe the fall) comparing the two before one gets sold off. I don't want another case of sellers remorse!

#19 pstarr

pstarr

Gemini

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

I sold my 8mm Radian when I got an 8mm Delos. The 8m Radian was my favorite eyepiece. I thought the Delos would completely replace it. Long story short, I just picked up another 8mm Radian. I'm happy again.

#20 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

My story:

Not so many years ago, my workhorse widefield eyepiece was a 32mm TeleVue widefield. Not the best in my fast scopes but it was what I had and together we had some wonderful times.

When I was finally able to purchase a used 35mm Panoptic, the difference in edge correction was quite apparent, the 35mm Panoptic was "obviously" the better eyepiece. When the opportunity presented itself, I passed the 32mm Widefield on to someone who would have good use for it but couldn't afford one.

However soon enough, I began missing the 32mm Widefield and when one appeared on Astromart as reasonable price, I bought it. In the meantime, I had also acquired a 31mm Nagler.

Now to some this might appear as an exercise in nostalgia or sentimentalism but it has nothing to do with such emotions. Rather is is simply the result of the awareness that there is more to an eyepiece than a widefield of view and a perfect edge. I enjoy viewing through the 32mm TV Widefield, it' virtues are what I call the "big easy view" a large field lens with the right amount of eye relief. Add in the fact that is about half the size and weight of the Nagler and the Panoptic, it's my favorite backyard 2 inch sweeper/finder.

Jon

#21 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

I had one of those 32mm TV 'Widefields', also- a rubber-eyecup version. I know exactly what you mean- it just worked, and was marvelous to use.

While i seldom view at that FL, and already have a Meade 30mm UWA if & when i did, that 32mm WF has tempted me more than most to re-acquire.

I've never regretted selling any of them. I don't get these sentimental feelings for inanimate objects. :shrug:

Aw, shucks Mike. You have not lived until you've tucked your eyepieces into bed while whispering "I love you, my precious" in dulcet tones. :love:

#22 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

There's nothing worse then a vengeful jilted eyepiece.....

#23 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

There's nothing worse then a vengeful jilted eyepiece.....

I hope they don't find their way home from their new owners and gather around my bed to wake me with a shrill cry, "Why didn't you like us? Why didn't you keep us?"

Well, if they do, I'll just reach over, grap a tripod and bash their barrels until their little lenses pop out!

No sentimentality here! :mrevil:

Mike

#24 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Paul,

I sold my 8mm Radian when I got an 8mm Delos. The 8m Radian was my favorite eyepiece. I thought the Delos would completely replace it. Long story short, I just picked up another 8mm Radian. I'm happy again.

What did the Radian have that the Delos didn't? Why couldn't the Delos replace the Radian?

Mike

#25 Pollux556

Pollux556

Apollo

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

I had one of those 32mm TV 'Widefields', also- a rubber-eyecup version. I know exactly what you mean- it just worked, and was marvelous to use.

:ubetcha: :ubetcha: :ubetcha: And it's true for all the Widefield series. 15, 19, 24, 32 and 40, they have all this qualities.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics