CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice for "right side up image" device Cassegrain

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KewlToy

KewlToy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm hoping for advice for the device I need to correct the upside-down image in my Orion StarMax 127mm Cassegrain.
web page

I understand that it is possible with one device to get things swapped right side up, but then right/left will be swapped?, and that may be fine.

Is there a decent device that corrects both? up/down and right/left?

Should I avoid swapping right/left? (quality loss?)

Advice on decent namebrands? names of devices?

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

There are erect image diagonals for daytime use. But not recommended for nighttime use.

#3 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

Get used to it. It takes more glass to get it the way you want it; more glass=more light loss.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:02 AM

I'm hoping for advice for the device I need to correct the upside-down image in my Orion StarMax 127mm Cassegrain.
web page

I understand that it is possible with one device to get things swapped right side up, but then right/left will be swapped?, and that may be fine.

Is there a decent device that corrects both? up/down and right/left?

Should I avoid swapping right/left? (quality loss?)

Advice on decent namebrands? names of devices?

Hi:

Any star diagonal, that is a single reflection prism or mirror will erect the image if the diagonal is oriented vertically, the image will be reversed left and right. The 127mm Starmax comes with a mirror star diagonal so you should be set.

There are diagonals to correct for both top to bottom and left to right but they have a rather complicated light path that typically results in reduced sharpness at higher magnifications.

Jon

#5 KewlToy

KewlToy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

Thanks for the information and advice!

#6 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

OK, I'm baffled. Are you sure that the image in your Mak-Cas is upside down? That shouldn't be true unless you're viewing straight-through, with an extension tube instead of a diagonal -- something that few people do.

Have you viewed terrestrial objects to verify the orientation? It's kinda hard on celestial objects, which don't usually have an obvious "up."

If you're using a normal diagonal, your view should be right-side up and mirror-reversed left to right.

#7 KewlToy

KewlToy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

OK, I'm baffled. Are you sure that the image in your Mak-Cas is upside down? That shouldn't be true unless you're viewing straight-through, with an extension tube instead of a diagonal -- something that few people do.
Have you viewed terrestrial objects to verify the orientation? It's kinda hard on celestial objects, which don't usually have an obvious "up."
If you're using a normal diagonal, your view should be right-side up and mirror-reversed left to right.

Hmmm, I got this unit used from a co-worker. He mentioned the upside down image issue. I am assuming it still has the stock diagonal. web page
I did view terrestrial images at the beach... (guilty as charged) (and yes they are still pretty upside down)

I just noticed that this Orion Apex unit comes with a correcting diagonal.
web page

Anyway, it sounds like I simply need to get an image correcting diagonal?

Removing the diagonal and eyepiece, and just looking throught the barrel showed right-side up images, but with the expected hole in the middle mirror issue.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics