Mystery EP's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

I just picked up a vintage 60x800 refractor on CN, and posted a 'who made it' question up in Classics (see the 'Name that scope' thread), and while opinion is running toward Asahi-Pentax, I decided to ask you folks down here in 'Eyepieces' for your opinions, both as to era made, and maker of these .965's..... Also with them, but not shown, a larger-than-usual diameter glass sun-filter in a nice brass threaded ring....
Thanks,
Russ

Attached Files

#2 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

The 9mm is taller than the others, and has an additional lens mounted near the bottom of the barrel....some sort of barlow, I'm guessing.....
I haven't put them in a scope yet, (or cleaned them) so have no idea as to quality.....
R

#3 iluxo

iluxo

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

They're stock standard Unitron (Polarex), look like late 1960's or early 1970's. Only thing missing is the Unitron label, which was on the two I once had.

H is for "Huygens", the design of the eyepiece as per the top of this figure http://www.astronomy...telescope76.jpg

What you're seeing isn't a Barlow, its the field lens.

BTW even in that era Pentax made better optics than that, they wouldn't have used a Huygens design or uncoated lens elements.

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

Still nice pieces of history. I got an old Pentax Kellner that came with their scopes from the 70s. Clean'em up, try'em out...what ya gotta lose....

#5 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

So... I need a tie-breaker vote .....
iluxo says these EP's are Unitron, which is entirely possible, even though Unitrons normally say so on the top ring, and up in Classics, bremms says they - and the diagonal/porro - are same as his vintage Sans and Streiff (Asahi)
Of course, it could well be that someone else made them...and both Polarex and Asahi merely bought and repackaged them.....

The 20mm, by the way, is incomplete....while beginning to clean them up, the eye-lens fell out, there was no retainer or additional glass in there..... Oh well, three out of four isn't too bad....

Thanks,
Russ

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics