• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jriastro

jriastro

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm starting to put together a setup I ordered a long time ago. I'm not 100% sure how it goes and didn't want to guess. This would be cake if I had someone local to set it up once and show me what's what.

Below is a picture that has the plates and mount on it. There is some text on the pictures. I just want to make sure I am hooking it up right.

I have a APM 152/1200, SV80S, Finder Scope. The APM goes in the rings below, the SV80S gets mounted on the APM 152/1200 right? Then the finder scope goes on the APM as well? The only thing on the dovetail plate is the APM 152/1200 correct?

I have the plates below. I'm just not sure what the black plate is for when I have the BT Tech silver one? Did it just come with the Paramount ME? It's not for the SV80S is it?

Also, on the BT silver plate there are no holes on the top of it. I'm guessing when you slide it on the Paramount ME it gets screwed in from underneath.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Posted Image

#2 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

The versaplate on the Paramount ME accepts "D" size dovetails. If you want to know how to operate the versaplate on this mount, I highly recommend reading the User's Guide that came with the mount. Failing that, you should create an account on the Software Bisque website and post your Paramount related questions to the support forums there.

None of the male dovetails in your pictures came with the mount. Scale is lacking (should put a ruler in the picture or something), so I can't quite tell whether those are "D" or "V" size dovetails you have there. Looks sort of like one is "V" and the other is "D"?

Assuming they're "D" sized, then you loosen the versaplate knobs, slide the dovetail in, then screw the knobs back down to secure it. You can slide the dovetail along the versaplate from end to end in order to balance your payload. The longer the dovetail, the more flexibility you will have in this regard.

You can also bolt things (like rings and such) directly to the versaplate if you really want to.

#3 jriastro

jriastro

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the input. I know it's tough looking at a picture and trying to figure it out. This goes back 5 years when I ordered all of this. The BT plate was made for the APM scope and the Paramount ME. I just don't remember what the black plate was for.

If it helps, both the silver plate and the black plate slide smoothly into the Paramount ME.

The thing that threw me is the BT plate (the silver one) has no screw or bolt holes on the other side of it. It's perfectly smooth.

I've seen it where the rings are attached directly to the mount and others where the rings are on a plate then attached.

This is one of those things where I wish I could get a Paramount, SBIG, APM, Stellarvue Pro over to the house to assemble it all, show me what goes where and how to adjust things. One good run through and I'd have it. Just not easy finding that person! If anyone knows anyone in NY please let me know. I'd be more than happy to pay the person for their time.

Thanks for the help. Makes it much clearer.

#4 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

The thing that threw me is the BT plate (the silver one) has no screw or bolt holes on the other side of it. It's perfectly smooth.

The dovetail plate is firmly held in place within the versaplate saddle's "D" channel by spring loaded brass plungers that contact the side of the dovetail when you tighten the knobs on the side of the versaplate. It's not a split saddle.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics