• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

I hope this is the correct forum for this. I've just finished watching a Documentary " Nostalgia for the Light" it is available on Netflix instant and I found it to be remarkable insight into the people at and equipment of the observatories in the Adacama Desert area of Chile, and the people of Chile. The movie weaves two tales one of the professional Astronomers at the observatories and their use of the massive modern equipment to search back into distant pass to find our roots with the native population's desire to learn more about the Pinochet era and the prisoner camps that were located at abandoned mine sites in that same area. Surviving prisoners tell of the beauty of the night sky and organizing astronomy groups to learn the constellations and transparency of the sky was so good optical aids were not needed.The military eventually destroyed all of the equipment and disbanded and outlawed all astronomical activity in fear that the information could aid in any escape. The description and pictures of this dark period in history will not allow me to recommend this for young viewers, but, the deep passion for astronomy that these people have and how seeing past, present and future in a way that nothing but astronomy could makes me proud, of me, my fellow astronomers and mostly the proud people of Chile. Please if you get the chance watch it. It is visually beautiful and a view into an aspect of amateur astronomy more people should see.
Be Well
Grey

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics