New Celestron OAG is shipping.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

The new Celestron OAG is now shipping. Mine should ship out today or tomorrow from OPT. With any luck I'll get it before the weekend and maybe get some clear skies as well.

Just in case anyone else wants this new OAG, OPT has plenty more in stock. :D

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

Getting serious about this imaging stuff, Zach? :question:

David

#3 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chardon OH

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

That looks like a nice OAG for the price. Keep us posted n how this works out, this is on my list of toys for one day...

Mike

#4 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

David- I guess so. :grin: I want to be able to get 3-4 minute
guided subs. Right now I get 60-90s max at 2032mm. Next on my list is new guiding camera. Then maybe a modified DSLR or CDD. Of course if I go the CCD route I'll get hyperstar as well. Astrophotography is a sickness. :lol:

Mike- Will do. Though the forecast for the next ten days is rain everyday. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test before to long.

#5 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chardon OH

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

Now I know why your forecast is the same is mine, you're in Ohio too :)

Good luck with your imaging. The part that took me the longest was figuring out how to frame and focus everything. Do you use a guide scope now? Have you used a OAG before? And what guide camera are you going to use?

I'm curious as to whether celestrons included adapters will let you reach focus with the guide cam and your imaging cam at the same time. Seems promising looking at the list of included adapters.

Mike

#6 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Mike- Yeah sorry about bringing all the clouds to Ohio. Usually when I buy something it's clear out, but doesn't look that way this time. :lol:

Yeah it took me awhile to understand the framing and focus part, but luckily BYEOS makes this much easier. I don't use any guide scope when imaging with my Edge 8. Because of that I've been limited to really short exposures. When imaging with my TMB I use a guide scope and have had really good results with it.

This will be my first experience using an OAG, so I'm not sure what to expect. I use a SSAG, but I've heard it's not sensitive enough to use with an OAG. Hopefully that is not the case, because a new autoguider is not the budget right now.

#7 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

This time of year if it t'ain't the clouds it's the skeeters. :)

Congrats on the new OAG! Mine (Orion, not Celestron) worked like a charm on my 8" and 10" SCTs.

Get ready for the skies to clear... I'm going to send my camera out for modding and I'm sure the skies will be pristine while its gone!

(Shhh, I'm hiding a second camera under my scope...)

#8 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Yeah clear summer nights in Ohio are hard to come by. The skeeters are really bad this year. Time to buy some thermacell. :)

Thanks! I'm hoping it works well with my SSAG. If it doesn't, well I guess I'll have to find something else. Haha. Of course the skies will clear as soon as your camera gets sent out. Then that will give me
Enough time to try out my OAG. ;)

#9 end

end

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

That's good news! I ordered mine from Adorama about two months ago, but haven't heard from them yet. Hopefully soon! I had about given up on this... I really hope this turns out to be a winner!

#10 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

It is indeed good news. :). I'd give Adorama a call and see if they have it stock now. I figure it's a good chance they do. I'm hoping it turns out to be a winner also. Celestron has a winner in the Edge ota's. So hopefully this one will be as well.

#11 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

I know many are excited about the OAG, but why? I'm in the market, and not sure what makes one great? I know sturdy is a factor as well as thickness. I was looking at the TS9 or the Olivian? copy.

#12 end

end

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

For myself, all I can say is that I'm hoping it is great. Obviously I haven't tried it and there aren't any reviews available. It is a leap of faith.

The reasons I'm hoping this is good for me is that I really don't want to deal with trying to optimize the back focus distance on my 11" EdgeHD scope. My impression is that this one comes with the proper adapters and what not to make the distance to camera sensor appropriate for my system. Clearly there are other ways of making this work, but I'd like a system to work "out of the box".

I'm going to be away from my telescope until early August, but I'll be focusing all my attention on getting this to work when I return.

I would imagine that by the end of August there will be several reports here that will let people know if this is a good OAG setup or not without much leaping involved.

#13 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

I know many are excited about the OAG, but why? I'm in the market, and not sure what makes one great? I know sturdy is a factor as well as thickness. I was looking at the TS9 or the Olivian? copy.

I choose it because it looks to be matched to the Edge line of scopes and its price did not break the bank.

#14 freestar8n

freestar8n

Soyuz

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

I have used a number of different OAG's - and a good one does make a difference. Main things to look for are: It should be thin so it doesn't take up too much backfocus, but it should still have a decent sized mirror/prism and a wide path to the guide chip so it can receive a wide cone of light. The prism height should be adjustable easily. There should be good rotation on each side of the OAG to set the guide angle and the image angle. It should be easy to install degree indicators to set the oag angle ahead of time. The rotation should be smooth and lockable. You shouldn't need to pay extra for 7 weird couplings to make it work with your system. The focuser should be smooth and - ideally - helical while not taking up too much space on the guider side. Being able to set the pickoff angle is desirable but adds complexity. And it should be rigid.

So I think a good one makes a difference - and some of them really do cost a lot. I haven't tried this one.

Frank

#15 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

You will post pictures and give a first light report. :rules: :grin:

David

#16 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

Frank- I've never dealt with OAG's before so I'm sure I'll be reading the manual several times to figure everything out. Also I'll probably be asking a ton of questions here on CN. The Celestron seemed to be a good price for whats being offered. Hopefully it works well.

David- Of course of course! :grin: Though everyday for the next ten days has 40-50% chance of rain forecasted. It's supposed to arrive Tuesday. I'm hoping I'll get some clear skies later in the week to test it out.

#17 end

end

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

I just got notification from Adorama that my OAG is shipping too. It will arrive at my place just as I leave town for three weeks. Typical. At least no one here needs to worry about clouds due to my purchases...

#18 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hopefully it will be clear when you return to town. :) Mine is still supposed to arrive Tuesday. And hopefully first light the following weekend.

#19 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

My OAG arrived today. It looks and feels like a nice solid piece of equipment. I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow. I'm hoping to test it out Thursday during the day. I'm thinking Thursday or Saturday night for first light.

#20 end

end

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

That's great! Mine is actually supposed to arrive today (two days ahead of schedule) so I might actually be able to do a quick first light with it tonight if everything else cooperates perfectly.

#21 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

That's great also. Hopefully it does arrive today. It's supposed to be clear Thursday-Sunday for me. So I should plenty of time to test it out.

#22 end

end

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Mine just arrived! Here are some unboxing pictures:

http://triplehelix.r...y/oag_unboxing/

#23 end

end

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

The pictures linked above are probably more valuable than anything I'll say here, but I'm quite happy with the quality of the build. Fully assembled the system is very rigid and still allows for helical focusing of the guide camera and 360 degree rotation of the pickoff mirror to allow more flexible guide star selection.

The main reason I bought this system was to have an OAG that had the proper back focus for my canon out of the box rather than having to make compromises or purchasing a large number of adapters from third parties. On that front this is certainly a success. For people who have limited back focus distance available to them this is NOT going to be a good OAG to buy. It will also probably be difficult to work with filter wheels. But in my case with a Canon 60Da as the imaging camera and using Astronomic EOS clip in filters, it may be just about perfect.

Of course, all of this is meaningless unless the pictures come out looking good. Unfortunately tonight is the only night I have to test it before going out of town for three weeks... If I have the opportunity to do a first light, I'll post back here again.

#24 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Glad your OAG arrived and I hope you are having a good first light! What scope are you going to use with it?

I agree that this system seems is robust. Plus it comes with a whole slew of adapters. I'm hoping for first light tomorrow night with my Edge 8, T1I, and SSAG.

#25 end

end

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

Well, no first light for me tonight. Ran into a problem with my mount and don't have the time to trouble shoot. Unfortunately that means a three week delay for me...

I'll be using this on an Edge 11, Canon 60Da and SSAG. The mount gave me problems just at the point where I had achieved focus in both the guider and camera... the fun was about to begin and now this. Oh well.

Good luck on your end!! It has to be better luck than mine!

By the way, I think there is an error in the manual that comes with the guider. If you look at the figure for setting up with an Edge 8 vs. an Edge 11, the suggested adapters are identical even though the suggested back focus is different. I confirmed that the figure for my Edge 11 gave the proper back focus distance, but you might want to actually measure the setup you get with your 8 because to me it looks like if you use their suggestion you are going to be too long and will want to use one of the shorter spacers.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics