Meade MTS helical focuser use

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

How does one adjust and use the helical focuser?

It doesn't seem to thread in and out but will slip straight which I know isn't correct.The rounded screw that engages? the very shallow threads seems to either bind the tube or let it slip.

Scope is Meade MTS SN6 ex-school use .Got it a reasonable price from the auction attendee.I like Schmidt-Newtonians.

#2 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

Frankly: my adjustment was to yank the old focuser off and replace with a Moonlite 2" focuser. BUT I had difficulty with their SN6 adapter kit: The bottom plate was so large it interfered with the corrector cell, so I had it chopped to size, then I found that the hole pattern did not match the existing holes in my tube, so I put new holes in the tube. Other than that it seemed to go well. Very nice focuser, probably overkill but A)I got the scope for free and B) I want to use it for imaging, so the focuser replacement was an absolute must-do.

Now what to do about the mount that lacks even a RA drive??? Probably I'll just mount it with rings (more cachings!) on my AP-400 mount.

Peter B.

#3 rolo

rolo

Apollo

• Loc: GA, USA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

I had one of these a while back and I was able to pull & push the focus tube and also turn it for fine precise focusing. I believe there's a little spring loaded ball bearing that may be adjustable.

#4 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

I can push and pull it but the turning doesn't seem to advance or retract most of the time.Is the tension on the ball-bearing screw that critical?Maybe it needs a new spring. :confused:

For my eyes it doesn't come into focus until the focuser tube is almost completely extended and the ocular inserted only enough the screw there will secure it.

Distant tree leaves looked great.It rained both nights since getting the scope.

#5 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I arrived here via a search-engine and so I thought I would update the mystery that is the MTS-SN6.

I can push and pull it but the turning doesn't seem to advance or retract most of the time.Is the tension on the ball-bearing screw that critical?Maybe it needs a new spring. :confused:

The set screw ball-bearing needs to engage the thread on the drawtube. Otherwise it jams.

For my eyes it doesn't come into focus until the focuser tube is almost completely extended and the ocular inserted only enough the screw there will secure it.

The MTS-SN6 has a lot of in-focus, suggesting it was designed for AP. I use a 50mm-long extension tube to bring my eyepieces to focus. Furthermore, the yoke-equatorial of the MTS-SN6 eliminates meridian flips required by GEMs, and with no possibility of rotating the tube within the yoke, it would be a PITN for visual work.

Great 'scope :) Awful focuser :(

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics