• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: West TX

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

I am looking into purchasing a Paramount MX for field use as my primary imaging mount. However, I want to continue running off the 13 V marine battery I have been using to power my CGEM, whereas the MX requires a 48 V DC power supply. I'm going to need a power inverter or converter of some sort, obviously. Does anyone here use an inverter to run their MX off battery power, or have an alternative solution? Thanks for your advice in advance!

#2 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Do you need an inverter? Does the MX run on AC?
You might just need a step-up power supply that takes the voltage from 13V to 48V.
Would something like this work?
http://www.ebay.com/...tep-up-Modul...

#3 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

I was going to suggest the same.. those switching boost converters are pretty efficient.

the OP might be suspicious of connecting an $8000 mount to that rinky-dink $19 converter :D (and with free shipping, at that!)

Although, I have a similar 220V - 12V switching power supply that I use with my AP mount... probably an even more unsafe proposition.

#4 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Thanks- after some additional research, it looks like you can indeed plug in the power "brick" that is supplied with the mount into a DC-AC inverter. According to the 2011 thread linked below, the step-up method requires a little knowledge of wiring to avoid electrical problems. My knowledge of electricity and electronics is :scratchhead:, so I think I'll go with the "inverters for dummies" method.

old thread about the same

#5 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

The switching power supply used by the Paramount ME/MX is not picky. Any old cheap 200W inverter will do just as well as any other. Note that the power brick for the ME2 is rated for a wee bit higher wattage that the ME/MX power brick.

It is also possible to replace that power brick with a 12VDC to 48VDC converter and get quite a bit better efficiency. Just make sure it'll handle the same amount of power as the power brick.

The ultimate in convenience and efficiency is to use the battery packs that SB sells. Big up-front cost, but presumably less expensive in the long term.

#6 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the info., frolinmod! Based on your 2011 thread, I went with option #2, despite its lower efficiency. I like the simplicity of the approach, and I already own a massive battery and charger. My total outlay was just $109 for the inverter. I'm not sure how many imaging sessions I would have to go through to make up another $500 in electricity savings with the SB package, but my guess is that it won't happen. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

#7 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

The prices of all the SB power stuff is just ridiculous.
Good call Ron going with an inverter.

#8 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

I know what you mean Orly. I too power both my mounts with similar boost DC-DC converters and I think mine were 7~8 dollars each shipped all the way from China.
Please send me the link to your converter. Sometimes I image at home and would like to power the mount from the wall outlet.

Andy

#9 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

Hi Andy, this is the one I use

http://www.ebay.com/...itching-Powe...

Reason being it has so many outputs, I can power everything (mount, dew strip, camera and TEC cooler) from it. It also has a fairly beefy output and a potentiometer allows you to adjust the voltage to exactly your requirement.

This was actually suggested to me on the Celestron Yahoo group, because the stock Celestron power supply is one weak !@!@#$ and causes unreliable slews sometimes. (but mine were caused by improper spacing of the motor encoders)

#10 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

Excellent! Thanks Orly.

Andy

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics