• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mauikj

Mauikj

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maui, Hawaii, USA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

As I posted before I recieved my DM6 but my Planet tripod is still MIA. Impatient, I modifed an old Celestron tripod to accomodate the mount (it works pretty well, suprisingly). Here are my first impressions:

First thing I liked was how easy it was to set up. The relatively compact size of the DM6 made it easy to carry while attached to the extender and tripod. Side mounting the pretty heavy Tak TOA 130 was really easy with the tilt-in saddle on the side of the mount. Much easier than mounting on the saddle on top a GEM. It took just a couple minutes for the total set up.

Observing was awesome. I guess I'm just an alt-az guy. I never felt comfortable with the heavy Tak on the IEQ45 GEM. Besides being a lot of work to set up the motions were just not natural to me. The DM 6 was a dream to push around. It just felt so natural. Three times, I had small satelittes enter the FOV. I could easily follow them across the sky. It was so intuitive to use, so smooth, saying I pushed it around doesn't sound quite right. More like I guided it around. The design is simple, yet worked so perfectly. I know from my research pre purchase there are a lot of opinions on which of these alt-az mounts are best and I can not compare them as I have never used any of the other ones. But I can say I am very happy with the DM6. I can't wait to take it out again tonight!

BTW: I only roughly balanced the scope (whick took maybe a minute), but it seemed to be fine when I went from the very heavy Ethos 21 (2 1/4 lbs) to the very light Nagler 7(1/2 lb). The scope just stayed put. I do have The Sky Commander but did not try it out yet as just wanted to focus on the mount the first time out.

#2 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

:waytogo: Good choice. I sure like my DM 6. I use it to carry my C9.25HD or my SV115. The Sky Commander works like a charm. I have the tall tripod for the refractor and a Losmandy HD tripod for the SCTs.

#3 WolfTracks

WolfTracks

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

I use a Takahashi SE-L tripod with the Discmount 8" extender. The Takahashi tripod sets up super fast, then I carry out the DM6 and attach it to the extender and then I drop the telescope into the tilt in saddle. Even in total darkness it is easy and takes less than 5 min.

Now there are times I admit that having tracking would be nice at higher magnifications but I always found myself fumbling around for the controls and it is just quicker "to me" to nudge the scope. The DM6 does everything that I need it to and it is fast and simple to set up. That really is the beauty of the design.

Having said that I am sure I would be happy to if I had a T-Rex or a Nova Hitch--every one a top notch mount. They all have their niche and I am sure if I had one of each I would use them all under different circumstances.

#4 cw00

cw00

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Another big fan of DM4/DM6 here. I used to use SkyWatcher AZ4 with my 4" refractor. But once I tried DM4, there is just no turning back. It makes all the difference in the world for planetary viewing. Just wonderful. And it looks great too.

#5 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

One area the DM6 pulls ahead is capacity for really big and heavy scopes limited pretty much by the tripod. With no counterweight I can get good results with a 10.25" f17 Dall Kirkham weighing 43 pounds with rings in a 43" long tube. Tom also has a counterweight shaft option that really smooths it out with just an 11 pound weight on the end. With added weights a C14 would be usable I think, and would give me a slightly wider field than my current setup! I also routinely use the DM6 with an 8" f6 solid tube Newtonian with heavy Parallax rings, and sometimes a 130mm Apo. I can follow planets and the Moon at 450x with little difficulty when viewing by myself.

I also managed to follow the ISS at 185x a week or so back in the 10.25", details were incredible!

Dave

#6 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:19 AM

Yes, it's a great mount and I suggest you try it with a starbeam red dot finder, makes it even better. the Starbeam is the best red dot finder I have ever tried and the mirror makes using it at zenith simple.
Rex

#7 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

Agreed with points in all comments here!

One thing I'd like to confirm, about the scope size being limited only by the tripod... I've found it to be true. I'm using the DM6 now with a 180mm F/7 refractor, and the Planet tripod. The setup is top heavy and could be a little tippy if someone knocked into it, but I put 20 pounds of weight laid out flat out on the tripod tray, and the whole thing is rock solid. Which is great, as I thought I'd have to raise the spreader and tray to widen the angle of the legs, something I didn't want to do... but it's not necessary at all. The DM6 and Planet with weight in the tray is a solid and stable combination for a pretty big scope IMO.

#8 Mauikj

Mauikj

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maui, Hawaii, USA

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hey Rex,

Thanks for the tip about the red dot finder. I wanted to get rid of the finderscope on the scope (and I have the Starbeam adaptor for the DM6) And I wasn't sure which was the best one. The Starbeam is pricy (over $200) but if you think it is a good one I'll get it. I was also wondering if that mirror system really works on it.

#9 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yes it's good and yes the mirror really works!
Rex
P.S. Make sure you get the Starbeam made for use on a televue scope, that's what the Diskmount adapter is set up for.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics