102mm achro for cheap

• Please log in to reply
1082 replies to this topic

#726 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Semi rural location east of Memphis. Far enough away that I have mag 6+ skies N/S/E and zenith, but west not so much :)

#727 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

BTW..I want to secure my scope better to my Orion VersaGo mount and the short dovetail is not a good match for balancing the scope. Don't know why they did not center it on the tube better??

So my choices are to buy a longer dovetail bar or buy rings AND a longer dovetail bar. Can I use a new longer dovetail bar using the same screws that are being used for the existing one or do I have to drill new holes? Or, do I just get rings with the dovetail attached and no drilling?

I see the bar from Agena is about $25.

I see some have used the ES rings, dovetail bar with handle. These are $45+ shipping. Any other retailer selling the ES rings with free shipping?

Any other options besides ES...I want to keep the weight to minimum for this mount I'm using. They say it's good for up to 10lb. load.

Thanks,

Bob

#728 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Boy you got that right on the grease! I got some on my hand and had a heck of a time getting it off. I have some white lithium grease, would that work ok?

So how do you get rid of the old greae (glue), do you have to remove the focuser from the tube to clean out the old stuff.....what do you use to clean it out?

Finally, did the new lube make the focus much smoother?

Thanks!

Bob

#729 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

I also have a Siebert bino optical corrector power wheel that works pretty good with an objective solar filter .

Theo

Too bad Siebert doesn't make them any more ... or does he?

Mike

Mine is an obsolete model, but he makes an upgraded one here . scroll down about 2/3 of the page.

Theo

#730 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Did you ever get an answer on this?

#731 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

How did the side by side comparison do?? I have both scopes now, but the sky has not been good since I got it.

#732 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Paint thinner/mineral spirits will remove the grease nicely without upsetting the scope's finishes.

Ed

#733 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Boy you got that right on the grease! I got some on my hand and had a heck of a time getting it off. I have some white lithium grease, would that work ok?

So how do you get rid of the old greae (glue), do you have to remove the focuser from the tube to clean out the old stuff.....what do you use to clean it out?

Finally, did the new lube make the focus much smoother?

Thanks!

Bob

I have not yet done mine yet but I found some good stuff when I did my CGEM Hypertune.

The first thing is CRC Lectra Motive Motor Parts Cleaner. After spraying this on the gunk it should become liquid which will allow you to wipe it off with a paper towel. The result feels like a clean surface that has a thin layer of 3-in-one oil on it. More paper towels will dry it out fairly well.

The next thing is optional. It is CRC Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner. After you spray this on the parts you previously cleaned with the other cleaner you can wipe it with a paper towel and it will be bone dry and super clean.

Final, Ed Thomas of Deep Space Products always recommends Super Lube from Ace Hardware.

I got the CRC stuff from a local car parts store and the Super Lube seems to only be available from Ace Hardware.

While I haven't re-greased my focuser yet my experience with these products makes me think they should work brilliantly. I suppose it is possible that the glue on the focuser is immune to the first item above but I will be surprised if that is the case.

#734 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

... do you have to remove the focuser from the tube to clean out the old stuff

Thanks!

Bob

PeterR280 made a long series of photos showing us how to take the focuser apart to clean it. You can find the first one here.

#735 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the link...very nice clear instructions!

#736 KarlL

KarlL

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

Bob -

I thought the rated load for the VersaGo was 15 lbs., or is that for the VersaGo II?

Regards,

Karl

#737 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

I resolved the issue with the WO BV. I think opening then out all the way a few times was what did the trick. The images are now merged and rotating the left eyepiece doesn't cause the image to rotate! Woohoo!

#738 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

Brandon, is this your first bino experience? If so, you're in for a treat when you look at Jupiter!!! :grin: The binos actually cancel some of the CA because of a dimmer image. But you'll be amazed at the additional details and the 3D effect. Look at the MOON!!!

#739 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Excellent, going out tonight with them?

We have great skies this weekend and really excited about using this scope overall and the BV on the moon tonight :jump:

#740 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Yep, clear skies! Saturn, Moon and perhaps Jupiter in the morning are on the agenda!

I have been viewing the sun today and really enjoy the BV. I decided to order a x1 OCA from Bill Siebert... Next month i will need to work on a few EP pairs for my Brandons.

#741 jag767

jag767

Viking 1

• Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

How did the side by side comparison do?? I have both scopes now, but the sky has not been good since I got it.

Great Question. I'd have to say it's an ongoing comparison. In a nutshell, the onyx beats out the 102 on everything but open star clusters, unless you go ultra widefield on the onyx (over 5 degrees) which is a place the 102 just can't go. I feel the best way to compare it is like watching a movie on a 32 inch LED tv vs a 42inch lcd. Even DSO's have what I can only describe as greater contrast compared to the 102.

I've rigorously compared the two on 3 separate nights so far, and the end result is I find myself liking the 4" aperture but the onyx quality, hence the need for a 4" widefield Apo :roflmao:

#742 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

t.r.,

The binos actually cancel some of the CA because of a dimmer image. But you'll be amazed at the additional details and the 3D effect. Look at the MOON!!!

Yes, a dimmer image. Many binoviewer users will not admit that binos dim the image. But IME the image is always dimmer. That's why I only binoview bright planets and the Moon, objects which have plenty of light and detail for the binoviewer to tease out. Binoviewers can be good for bright DSO, also, to improve the presentation. For the dim stuff, monoviewing is better.

Mike

#743 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

I had great clear views of the moon in my BV last night....don't even think I saw any color? They work great on something bright like the moon and planets.

#744 JonNPR

JonNPR

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Our club hosts monthly First Quarter Star Parties on a large reservoir on a hill in the center of town. Eugene's new Slug Queen made an advertised special appearance and we had ~150 people visit through the night.

I brought my C102 for the first time. Lots of parents and their children, some needing a boost to get to the eyepiece, oohed and aahed over views of the moon, Albireo, and Alcor & Mizar. Jerry's big 20" was set up right next door, with long lines. But even people viewing M13 in that big Dob seemed to enjoy the simple pleasure of double stars and the moon in the little scope that could!

Jon

#745 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

... in the little scope that could!

It's been a bit of a washout here in NM lately but I've had 4 nights with this scope and continue to be pleased with its performance... double stars in particular. I like to visit a string of doubles that runs like this: delta-Cep, eta-Cas, eta-Per, Struve 331, gamma-And and gamma-Ari. The last providing an entertaining "headlights in space" feeling. None of these are terribly difficult splits (40-60x) but most are tighter than Albireo. On top of the doubles and the moon, I've had some fun with the Sagittarius region and the Helix nebula which I find easier to locate with less aperture (a diffuse brightness issue). This is a great little scope that will continue to see a lot of use.

#746 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

I'm going to play with bright DSO imaging. For those who use the ES rings/dovetail combo - here is how I'm mounting my ST80 guide scope. My ST80 is configured with a 4" dovetail that has three 1/4"-20 threaded holes. I bought a pair of 1/4"-20, 1" long rosette knobs and glued 2 washers to each of them. If you don't do this, the threaded post will bottom out on the ST80 OTA and leave a mark in the finish. Also the rosette knob gets very close to the handle and becomes difficult to manipulate. You could go with the 3/4" long knobs, but you'd still have the second problem. This setup is just about perfect.

Attached Files

#747 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

Closeup of the ST80 mounted to the slotted handle. And yes, I upgraded the focuser knobs on the ST80 to match the C102. I ended up with an extra set - the first one I received was defective (bent) so they sent me a new one. Then I had nothing to lose so I put this one in my vice and ended up getting it straight enough to use on the ST80.

Attached Files

#748 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Wide angle:

Attached Files

#749 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Nice double team you have there. All bases covered.

#750 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Nice set up Jarrod...question, I'm thinking about getting the ES rings for my 102g..do I need to remove the 4" stock dovetail rail first, or will the ES rings just fit over them?

Also, are the rings pretty light?

Thanks,

Bob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics