canon video camera for astro video?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shkong

shkong

Vostok 1

• Loc: WA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

I consider using Canon Vixia HF M41 video camera for Astro video.

I try to use it with 10 inch F3.9 Newtonian mounted on CGE,

Has anyone here tried similar things before?

If so, I would like to get advice.

Thanks

Thomas

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

Its CMOS HD image sensor is 2M pxl and type-1/3" sized. Max. long exposure time is 1/6 sec. None of the spec. above is impressive.

#3 shkong

shkong

Vostok 1

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

Its CMOS HD image sensor is 2M pxl and type-1/3" sized. Max. long exposure time is 1/6 sec. None of the spec. above is impressive.

Thanks for pointing out.

But I wish to use it as just starting practice.

#4 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Anything with video exposure time of less 4 seconds...
At the min may not be worth the effort.
Not that it cant be done....but it takes the "FUN" out
of it...

#5 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

Vixia HF M41 is a cancorder with a non-removable zoom lens. Optically, a telescope OTA will have to use an eyepiece projection method to couple with your camcorder. EP Projection method, although sometimes may work out, is not a great method to be used in astro.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

Thomas,

Perhaps if you are handy you can remove the lens on the camera and cobble up a simple 1.25" barrel attachment you can try it out on a telescope. With that type of setup you should be able to play around with some neat lunar viewing and with a Barlow lens may some planetary viewing as well. With planetary viewing you'll find the planets very small and somewhat dim which doesn't work well with the automatic gain controls on many cameras (not enough of the object shows up for the circuitry to be able to expose it correctly against the black background ... instead you'll often seen an over exposed blob).

Other inexpensive options are ...

One of the older video eyepieces (sold under Meade and other brand names). Orion also has a similar new product. These are all under $50. These are fun for viewing solar system objects.

One of the low light security oriented video cameras can also be a good choice to start off. The Samsung's are very popular, and there are now a few other options (LnTech for example). These are usually available in the $80-120 range. Most of these cameras can also be used to view some of the brighter deep space objects in addition to the solar system stuff. With one of these cameras you'll also need a C mount to 1.25" adapter ($20-30) and a 12v power source ($10-20).

Along with any true video setup you'll need either a simple video monitor or a video capture device (usually a USB frame grabber). The capture device lets you view video on a PC. They are about $20 and up.

#7 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

Better not to remove the lens assembly. These camcorders have many limit switches and they are checked by camcorder main processor. If the limit switches don't work as expected, error code will show.

BTW, a consumer camcorder has a lot of automatic functions and cannot be defeated.

Better pick a more suitable imaging device.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Very few camcorders allow the lens to be removed. You shoot into an eyepiece "afocally." Several brackets are available for that purpose.

#9 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

Thanks Rod.

My mistake, I should have stated "afocal" imaging. For EP project, the camera has to be lensless.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#10 shkong

shkong

Vostok 1

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hello folks

Thanks a lot for your valuable opinion.

I ordered an used Mallicam Extreme to use for my 10 inch Newtonian.

Alas, do I need focal reducer for my SE 8 scope?

Will MFR-5 Dual Cell Focal Reducer work for that purpose?

Hi Uncle rod I am now reading your excellent article on Mallincam Extreme.

[url=http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/2012/01/now-in-living-color.

Your review helped me to make a quick decision.

#11 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

I would suggest that a focal reducer is very helpful on any f10 SCT.

The MFR-5 is a good choice, as is a Meade f3.3. If you want to try an inexpensive model consider one of the .5x 1.25" models. These won't provide quite as good optical quality but will allow you to gain some experience with a focal reducer. If you already have an SCT f6.3 focal reducer you may also try using that with the .5x reducer, that combination can give you very fast reduction (under f4 and sometimes down close to f3) but the optical quality probably won't be as good as the high end models (the MFR-5/Meade f3.3/Optec .3x).

#12 shkong

shkong

Vostok 1

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

I would suggest that a focal reducer is very helpful on any f10 SCT.

The MFR-5 is a good choice, as is a Meade f3.3. If you want to try an inexpensive model consider one of the .5x 1.25" models. These won't provide quite as good optical quality but will allow you to gain some experience with a focal reducer. If you already have an SCT f6.3 focal reducer you may also try using that with the .5x reducer, that combination can give you very fast reduction (under f4 and sometimes down close to f3) but the optical quality probably won't be as good as the high end models (the MFR-5/Meade f3.3/Optec .3x).

thanks mc

As you suggest, I ordered 30$ 0.5 reducer to see what happen.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics