Mounts feature wishlist

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

If the USB device identifies itself as what it is - a scope, a filter wheel, a focuser - then fine. But most don't, they identify themselves as a serial port and that gets you no further forward with getting the right driver installed.

The bottom line is that the complexity can't be reduced and if you don't want the user to have it the developer has it. This means additional developer cost; after all developers have to eat too.

Chris

#27 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Viking 1

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Gday Frank

In terms of the complexity of software and devices with usb - I make devices based on the PIC18F4550 microcontroller, which has a USB stack and voltage source built in.

You fall into the same category as me, in that in certain areas, you can do exactly what you want at the lowest level and make it work. I prefer native rs232 for "scope" control because i work with my Meade scopes, which are rs232, ie, i am not reinventing anything.
I merely tried to point out that relying on someone like you working for each mount vendor, to create new product interfaces etc and then getting all to agree on theprotocol and then maintaining it isnt a trivial exercise.
Ie i dont see fully plugnplay mounts that all have a common interface to the outside world will happen in the near term.
Niche businesses and technologies will come and go, and the best will go to the top for a while. The next few years will be interesting.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#28 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

I would prefer not to use wireless.
It is always open to interference from other devices
& who would want their precious data corrupted?

#29 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

DSC's.

#30 Ravenous

Ravenous

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

You guys are too sophisticated for me. I'd be happy with simple slo-mo controls that don't interfere with tracking and a worm block design that makes adjusting backlash trivial (in the dark, even!). Oh, and rotating rings for Newts.

Exactly! So many people have already added quite exotic-sounding things which possibly break rule 2 in Hilmi's original post.

Surely we just want a simple, reliable, "transparent" in use, user serviceable, well made mount made by somebody who gives good customer service.

On the other hand, maybe I'm talking about a much earlier generation of mounts! Ah well, move along, nothing to see here :)

#31 gdd

gdd

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Allow features that mounts already have to actually work by not cutting back on quality and precision excessively, especially if we are only talking a few dollars on key components like the worm and gearing. If the gearing must be cheapened, at least use integral gearing so the PEC feature can work.

Gale

#32 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Surely we just want a simple, reliable, "transparent" in use, user serviceable, well made mount made by somebody who gives good customer service.

On the other hand, maybe I'm talking about a much earlier generation of mounts! Ah well, move along, nothing to see here :)

Those type of things are out there and are gaining some popularity lately. My most used is my most simple and reliable mount and it performs flawlessly but is easy to service if ever necessary. However, a lot of people like the high tech stuff and this is where things become a problem.

#33 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

If I could ever settle on one scope :grin:, this is what I would have in a really nice observatory:

MI500 fork mount. Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Yea, I know, you're stuck with one scope. That's why I started this with "If I could ever settle on one scope". No flip and it has a 120lb capacity. It comes standard with SiTech Servo II which is an outstanding operating system. It has a homing option and encoder option as well. And they have a feature that I wish my MI250 had; the motors are inside the castings.

But they are heavy and not made to be trundled around to dark sites. So if portability is needed, I'd look elsewhere.

David

#34 Ravenous

Ravenous

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:58 AM

If I could ever settle on one scope :grin:, this is what I would have in a really nice observatory:

Okay, I'll take back what I was saying about fancy modern mounts. That thing is just gorgeous. :bow: Maybe when I retire in a few decades... :bawling:

And it's still grab and go; grab a coffee, go out to the observatory, pull the dustcaps and observe.

#35 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

Ed Byers offered as an option to his 812 GEM a fork option that simply bolts to the cone. He called it the 812TR.

#36 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

[quote
And it's still grab and go; grab a coffee, go out to the observatory, pull the dustcaps and observe. [/quote]

A term I learned a long time ago for a big mount in place of "grab 'n go" is "grunt n' heave". :grin:

David

#37 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

A mount wish list? Someone manufacture a fast slewing three axis mount with a computer interface for under $1000 and I will hand you my money in a jiffy.

obin ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics