Does BYEOS support cropped mode video?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

I'm going to be attempting DSLR planetary imaging with my Canon 60Da. This camera supports 60 frames per second in cropped video mode which is 1:1. This is not the same as the 5X magnification which only supports 30 fps if I understand correctly. So does BYEOS natively support the cropped mode?

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

Correct me if I am wrong...

I believe BYEOS can only get up to 22 fps or so on Canon DSLRs when images are directly downloaded thru USB cable. The limitation came from Canon's SDK and USB 2.0 transfer speed when interfacing with DIGIC image processing engine.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'm going to be attempting DSLR planetary imaging with my Canon 60Da. This camera supports 60 frames per second in cropped video mode which is 1:1. This is not the same as the 5X magnification which only supports 30 fps if I understand correctly. So does BYEOS natively support the cropped mode?

Hilmi,

Images from the in-camera movie crop mode can not be downloaded _live_ over usb IFAIK.

BYE uses the in-camera 5x live view mode only.

Thank you

Guylain

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Correct me if I am wrong...

I believe BYEOS can only get up to 22 fps or so on Canon DSLRs when images are directly downloaded thru USB cable. The limitation came from Canon's SDK and USB 2.0 transfer speed when interfacing with DIGIC image processing engine.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Not relevant to the OP's question (Guylain already gave the definitive on that one!), but with BYEOS 2.0, I could get up to 31fps in this manner. The newer versions of the SDK/BYEOS seem to limit this down to, as you say, 22fps or thereabouts :(

Grant

#5 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

Thanks for the clarification. The reason I don't just record to SD Card using cropped mode is that it stores the file in quicktime format (*.mov) this is a pain to then convert to a format that stacking software will recognize.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics