• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EyeSage

EyeSage

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canukistan

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

As the EQ6 I've been coveting isn't likely to be in the budget for a while I am currently modding my old Meade Starfinder mount in hopes of making it suck a little less for astrophotography. The model I have uses an AC synchronous motor driving it in RA and have a servo motor giving me slow motion on the dec. axis. My great hope is to be able to adapt it to enable me to use an autoguider. I would think this should be doable but haven't been able to find the technical details that would apply for a setup like mine.

Currently I use a standard 555 based inverter circuit with push button speed controls for the RA motor and a simple DPDS toggle switch to trigger the dec. motor with alternate polarity. I have been to the Shoestring Astronomy site and it looks like their EQ kit might work but would need to be wired differently in my case. Is there anyone who could point me towards how a setup like mine would need to be wired to make it ASCOM compatible? Alternatively I'm open to making changes like swapping motors if this could be made to work.

#2 Iver

Iver

Sputnik

• Loc: Monterey County,Ca.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

Joe, here are two links to some info. from Shoestring Astronomy that may help.

http://www.store.sho...ModGuidance.pdf

http://www.store.sho....com/eq_mod.pdf

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

The easiest solution would be to pick up an old drive corrector with guide inputs.

Don't worry about ASCOM compatibility; that's a communications protocol and has nothing to do with autoguide ports (they don't communicate).

#4 EyeSage

EyeSage

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canukistan

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

Thanks Iver,

The EQ mod I've seen before but the handcontroller mod guide might be just what I need.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics