First Light for Celestron Adv VX

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Minder

Gary Minder

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

Yesterday was my first experience with an EQ mount after more than 10 years wit a NexStar 8. I am amazed at the difference.

The tripod is as solid as could be. The NexStar tripod looks like a toy next to the VX. I have nothing to compare the VX mount to but it looks very well made. It all went together very easily. I was worried when I did a rough RA balance with just the OTA. There wasn't much room at the end of the counterweight bar and I still had an Orion mag-mini 50 w/SSAG and my Canon to add. No problem though. The dec axis balance was a pain. The OTA is almost all the way forward and I was adjusting a 1/4 inch at a time to get it dialed in.

I was in a hurry to take my first AP shots so I didn't spend the time I should have with the 2-star alignment and I only did a very rough polar alignment. The go-to function was still amazingly accurate and did far better than my NexStar ever did. Even with a rushed alignment the mount still put objects in the FOV. I do have a f/6.3 reducer so that helped.

The VX seems to hit the sweet spot for my C8. It's light enough that I can carry it without taking the mount off the tripod but plenty beefy enough to handle the C8 with accessories. Money well spent.

#2 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

You know the :rules: where are the :photo:of your new mount?

#3 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

Congrats and we do want pics! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics