• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

Pete,

Thank you for putting together a fine list...I just love observing lists! Some of these will be new for me which is always a good thing.

And thanks J.C.F. for the spreadsheet. I always enjoy comparing the descriptions of prolific observers with what I myself see. Nice work!

Thanks Guys!

#27 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

I've been googling my neighborhood and surrounding towns to make a start on this list. I just can't seriously consider making a go of this with the lit parking lot and ghastly 5v sky. The next town over has some potential good secluded spots if the Google Earth images are fairly representative.
I want a nice long respite full restoring evening with these.

Pete

#28 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

I hear ya. I have a green zone 45 minutes away I would like to take my dob out and hit this list with. Or at least a good portion of it. I get under a really decent sky infrequently enough that I'm very easily sidetracked and all of a sudden it's 3am. :grin:

#29 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

I just can't seriously consider making a go of this with the lit parking lot and ghastly 5v sky.

I can understand your contempt of the brightly lit parking lot, but a NELM 5 sky isn't bad at all. I can see most of these planetaries in a 4" under a NELM 2.5 summer sky, with the Sun less than 12° below the horizon. The trick is to use high magnification, which you're going to anyway, since they're small.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#30 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: West TX

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

I just got a new scope (C11 Edge) last week and had a lot of fun observing about a dozen of these planetaries from the darker of the two sites I use here in west TX. Planetaries are cool on their own, but add a ragged milky way with lots of dark nebulae and few coyotes yelping off in the distance for a really memorable observing session. I had never seen many of the fainter PNs before due to living in the light polluted northeast until a few years ago.

A few nights ago, I imaged NGC 7139 in Cepheus from a slightly less dark site. Here's a clickable thumbnail below. I love imaging PNs as much as observing them. The diversity in colors and shapes is amazing.

Posted Image

#31 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:46 AM

There's no question that a dark sky is the best, but it's not strictly neccesary for many of these little nebulae.

Your observing site sounds awesome.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#32 Ben Therrell

Ben Therrell

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

A most elegant image, Ron! Thanks for posting.

#33 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Nice image Ron - reminds me of NGC 6781 in Aql:-) I'll give it a go in a few min rather than hours as your pic :-)

#34 John_G

John_G

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Normally I don't spend much time thinking about aperture, but after the past few nights of hunting down a dozen or so planetary nebula with my 200mm, I found myself wishing for a Dob for more detail.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics