Lasers to replace fireworks?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

During the Macy's fireworks show on TV, it was mentioned that some cities are considering replacing fireworks with laser shows for fire/safety reasons. Just think of the LP this would cause. Granted it's only a handfull of nights a year that fireworks are used in celebration, but imagine those nights now with lasers and not fireworks. At a dark site, fireworks become part of a city's light dome, but lasers shine up a lot higher then fireworks.....We are not talking hand held green laser pens here, we're talking searchlight bright huge lasers. Remember the searchlight forum recently about the light show in Philly.....now imagine it countrywide in all major cities with laser lights, visible laser lights that'll show how far?????

#2 FoggyEyes

FoggyEyes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

How would they keep the lasers out of airplane pilot's eyes? Cities and the FAA would almost have to put up a no-fly zone around these shows. I have talked to pilots who said that flying above fireworks is pretty disappointing. Doesn't seem like they would say the same think about lasers.

It's one thing when NY City does it around the former WTC, but every town and baseball stadium in the country?

#3 astroment

astroment

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

I notice that as well
Parker Colorado had a 4th of july laser show due to the high fire danger they did the same last year so far 2 year's of drought doesn't seem to help
I do remember when we used to get some monsoon rain but seem's that to is changing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics