Stellarium with a MacBook Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ironrob

ironrob

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

This site has been invaluable as I get more into this new hobby of mine. I purchased a 8se about 2 months ago and have had a lot of fun using it. I would like to control it using my MacBook Pro through Stellarium. I have tried a number of USB-Serial connectors, the latest, Keyspan USA-19HS, but still unsuccessful. Anyone have any tips on controlling an 8se with a MacBook Pro?

#2 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

I have not tried it myself with my MacBook. Check this thread out here on CN's http://www.cloudynig...5139778/Main...

#3 parkstreetmafia

parkstreetmafia

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

I just purchased a Nexstar 8SE yesterday and have been playing around with it for the past 24 hours. I stumbled upon Stellarium and worked last night to get it talking to scope. I too have a Macbook Pro.

I am using a Trendnet TU-S9 USB to Serial cable to interface my Mac with my Nexstar. I'm by no means an expert at these things, but I suggest the following based on my experience last night.

First, ensure that the USB to Serial cable you are using is installed. You can ensure that it is installed by opening a terminal window and typing the command: ls /dev/cu.* This should return a list, which includes something similar to "cu.usbserial" Make note of this name as you will need it below.

Second, in Stellarium, under the Telescope Configuration window, be sure that in the "Serial Port" field you type the directory and name of the serial port determined above. In may case, I typed /dev/cu.usbserial in the Serial Port field.

Other than determining the serial port, the setup couldn't have been easier. I haven't taken it outside yet, but it seems to be working with a mock alignment.

Good Luck! Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics