• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Have you ever had one of these drawings you've always wanted to make but never got round to it? Well, this one used to be mine. Perhaps I was afraid of the many subtleties, the complexity and the enormous amount of time involved (mostly because having to re-acclimatise my eyes to the dark after every pencil stroke). This nebula is so spectacular with the binos and a couple of 82° eyepieces. It just didn't fit in the FOV though and unfortunately I had to find a balance between the "snake's teeth" (IC1340) and the bright NGC6992 area. It also took me quite some time indeed, but in the end I'm really pleased with the result. I hope you are too. :)

Peter

Attached Files

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

What a fine amount of detail!

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Peter,

Very good sketch of the Veil :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#4 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

Peter

And you say I'm good at the sun ! What a spectacular sketch Peter. You have my entire admiration for this piece of art. Really amazing. You have a so great technic to reproduce the brightness of the stars. It's simply like looking trought your scope.

Congratulation.

Andre

#5 John K

John K

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vernon BC Canada

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

excellent sketch.I have yet to try this one.You are brave!
I may give it a go at this summers star partys.

#6 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

Peter,
Wonderful work. Very fine detail. I admire your patience.

Ken

#7 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Many thanks, all of you! :D As I said, the most tedious part is getting used to the absolute dark again after having drawn just a few dots. Is this a problem you also have, or have you found a way of coping with this? I'm already using a (not so bright) red light, but still the nebula's almost disappeared when I put my eyes against the eyepieces again, and I have to wait at least a couple of minutes before I can see the faintest details and stars again... :tonofbricks:

Peter

#8 cpl43uk

cpl43uk

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bristol, UK

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

As always a wonderful feel to the image with great depth. Since I know you approach the sketch through PS (as do I), can I ask you about your star drawing technique? For example, do you set "layers" for different classes of brightness (ie brightest set of stars, medium set, faint set), do you use hard or soft brush settings for the stars themselves? Assuming you use white for the star colour, do you vary the opacity for each star? etc etc :question:

#9 John K

John K

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vernon BC Canada

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

When I sketch I have trained my eyes to work as a team. I observe with one eye wink it shut then sketch with the other. It is very weird at first but you get used to it.when I am observing I move the light and sketch pad behind me, then bring it back again to place the new information.

#10 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

Thanks for the tip, John, but er... I observe with a binoviewer so it's not a technique I could use. :)

@Chris: I only use one layer for the stars, but I use minimum "hardness". This setting gives you already very realistic stars in itself (as if you can see diffraction rings). I also don't use white but light grey for the stars. I find plain white much too bright and doesn't blend the stars into the picture like a softer colour does. I also don't change opacity (although might try that... ;) ). I simply use a brush size of let's say 15 for the brightest stars and then go down to 3. 1 is too small and doesn't bring the effect of a star that's hardly visible. For those, I still use brush size 3 but then gradually darken the colour. For the faintest stars the colour isn't that much brighter than the background!

I hope this helps... :)

Peter

EDIT: I forgot to add that for the brighter stars I use a second layer. I use a brush size between 30-40 and flow/opacity around 30. This gives the nice "halo" effect on those...

#11 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:25 AM

John.

I do the same when sketching the sun especially for the close ups. That permit me to have the perfect match of prom size as both eyes are looking at the same thing but one on the paper the other in the scope.

Andre.

#12 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Peter,

This is a most impressive sketch. Beautiful!

Frank :)

#13 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Many thanks, Frank! You're so kind... :)

Peter

#14 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hi Peter,

Another wonderful sketch :bow:

Best,

Eric Jamison

#15 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:57 AM

Wow! Amazing sketch Peter! :bow: I do a bit of sketching myself, but mine are quick and to the point. Yours is better, and a lot better than mine, because you take more time which is good because more detail pops out the longer you look and sketch. :)

Many thanks, all of you! As I said, the most tedious part is getting used to the absolute dark again after having drawn just a few dots. Is this a problem you also have, or have you found a way of coping with this? I'm already using a (not so bright) red light, but still the nebula's almost disappeared when I put my eyes against the eyepieces again, and I have to wait at least a couple of minutes before I can see the faintest details and stars again...

Peter

--------------------
18" f/4.45 PeterDob

I find the exact same thing happens to me even if I use a really dim red light, so what I do right after I sketch a little is close both eyes for a minute.....It helps a little.

Nice sketch :waytogo:

Cheers,

#16 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Excellent

#17 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

Another wonderful sketch Peter it reminds me of a view I had of the Veil through a large aperture Dob. :bow:

Best,

Eric

#18 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Provence, France

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Génial Peter !

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics