Photo

2" EPs in Meade LX-90 SCT 8"

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 flygal6

flygal6

Lift Off

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

May I ask a stupid question....I am still new to all this and figuring out all the parts and configurations. If I wanted to use 2" EPs vs 1.25" EPs do I just change out the diagonal to a 2" one? Does this need some type of reducer/adapter to fit in the visual back, or do you remove the present visual back? Please tell me what specific parts I need. I have found what they call a hybrid diagonal for 1.25" to the smaller .965"(?) but not for going up the other way to 2". Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Carol

#2 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Hi Carol,

In your LX-90 8"SCT, then you can either buy a genericSCT 2"/1.25" diagonal combination that will thread onto the rear cell or a Meade 2"/1.25" diagonal that has a rear cell adapter that can screw onto the rear cell, then use it's thumb screws to attach the 2"/1.25" diagonal. Then you can use both 2" and 1.25" eyepiece's in either scope. Hope this helps.

#3 flygal6

flygal6

Lift Off

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Thanks Bill that helps a lot of what to start looking for.

#4 ratskrad

ratskrad

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Heber Utah

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

I have an 8" LX90 and it came with the 1 1/4 visual back. I bought from Meade the combo 2" visual back, 2" diagonal and their 24mm eyepiece which is 2". You will need to unscrew the visual back that you have and get a 2" one to use both 2" diagonal and any 2" eye pieces you acquire. The 2" diagonal has a 2" to 1 1/4" adapter to use any 1 1/4" eye pieces you may have. Any 2" visual back with sct threads will work. There are also diagonals that have the sct thread already on them which would eliminate the need for a 2" visual back that would screw onto the back of the scope and allow you to use 2" and 1 1/4" eye pieces. Astronomics has them listed as well as Meade, Celestron, Orion and a whole host of other sites.

Attached Files

#5 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Hi Carol,

In your LX-90 8"SCT, then you can either buy a 2"/1.25" diagonal combination that will thread onto the rear cell or an Astro-Physics real cell adapter that can screw onto the rear cell, then use it's three thumb screws to attach a 2"/1.25" diagonal. Then you can use both 2" and 1.25" eyepiece's in either scope. Hope this helps.

#6 flygal6

flygal6

Lift Off

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thanks ratskrad, your answer and picture really helps.

#7 brucepech

brucepech

Sputnik

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

My own personal preference is unthreading the stock 1.25" visual back and subtituting: (1) A rock-solid 2" Baader ClickLock Visual Back for Smaller SCT threads; and (2) a quality, unthreaded 2" mirror diagonal like the Televue Everbright (although there are cheaper alternatives from Meade and other manufacturers). At that point you're good to go for 2" eyepieces. If you use both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces, you'll need a 2">1.25" adapter for the 1.25" eyepieces. Again, my personal preference is the Baader 2-thumbscrew
adapter(and, again, there are cheaper alternatives from other manufacturers).

#8 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Just a quick sidebar Ratskrad - I noticed that you are using the Meade 2" OTA for the diagonal. I see that you have both parts of the OTA screwed in the tube, did you know that you can unscrew one part and make the light path shorter? At that back-end configuration like that changes your f/# and focal length. Also, where did you get that large focus wheel, it looks pretty cool? Does it make focusing finer?

Thanks,

Bob

#9 ratskrad

ratskrad

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

I took that picture the day those items arrived and figured out a few days later that the visual back unscrewed into two pieces. I was trying to make the diagonal and visual back fit on the LX90 in the home position and it did not fit so I figured out that the visual back came apart and the scope would then go into the home position when using my wedge. I actually use the extra piece as a spacer to set the chip surface at the correct distance on my dslr when using my 6.3 fr/ff.

The focus wheel I bought from scope stuff and it allows me to do a fine as well as a coarse focus. Years ago I had an Orange Tube C8 and on that I used a lid to a peanut butter jar. I still use the plastic lids on my C6R and my ST80. People look at me a little funny until they realize that it does work. Got the idea from Rod Mollise's book "Choosing and using a New Cat".

#10 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well, have to check out scope stuff. BTW, you have some nice images taken with your LX90! Utah, probably have some dark skies there. Took a look at the night sky when I was in Zion and it blew me away!

#11 ratskrad

ratskrad

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Bob, with the exception of M16 all the images are from my backyard. We have a lot of dark sky areas in Utah. Takes me an hour to get to a black zone and I live in a green/yellow zone depending on which way I face.

#12 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Luck you:)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics