Photo

Liberate more Canon DSLR features

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

Finally Magic Lantern released version 2.3 alpha-quality of the T4i (650D) custom firmware. I'd like to report few interesting discoveries (from my little prior knowledge on ML.)

1. It brought down a high-end only feature to the x00 series: "Exposure simulation". I.e., the LiveView attempts to follow user setting on exposure. Without this, the camera insists you should "see" the picture (like AGC does) as oppose to potentially overly dark or over exposed picture.
It also allows longer exposure time, i.e., no longer "live" but more jittery, less frequently updated LivePreview pictures. I.e., more exposure time thus can "see" more.

2. Similar idea as in (1), in movie mode, it has the fps (frame per second, slowest is 0.15 fps) override. This will boost the gain. Naturally, playing back such movie in normal speed looks like a time-lapse (speed up) movie.

3. Added some manual control features during movie recording.

4. intervalometer, can do ramp (gradually changes the exposure time successively)

5. will add some more here

However, a great feature will be described in the next post.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

ML version 2.3 has an optional, user-selectable, add-on module: "movie raw" mode.

It will record the DSLR CMOS image sensor output (my T4i is 14bit per pixel) as a continuous movie as raw movie. No compression whatsoever.

This is sensor raw, since in this mode, there is no time and processing power from DIGIC Image Processor being used.

This would generate a tremendous amount of data, even a very fast SD memory card is used (I use a UHS-I ultrafast card.)
Also due to this bandwidth upper bound, in my set up, I can only get up to 1728x1152 imaging area max. out of T4i's 5184x3465 18.7Mpxl sensor.) This yields throughput of 100 MByte/sec, if "fps override" is not used (normal is 30 fps.) Naturally, I have to allow "skip frames", since the memory card is not fast enough.
Note: a lot of frames will be dropped.

You might have remembered that one of the T4i's drawback is it has no "movie crop" mode at all in factory firmware. With ML's movie raw recording, it is effectively a movie crop!

I promise the next post should be quite interesting but really should be of no surprise.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Let me post a raw movie picture first. Enjoy!

Hint: previous PDAF (phase differential auto focus) discussions here in CN.

Attached Files

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

The movie raw file saved to the memory card is in a proprietary format (very basic data packing.) Off the camera, use a program: raw2dng to covert the movie into individual DNG format file, one file per frame.

The raw2dng has an automatic line variation adjustment routine which I will have to disable it (to recompile the program) to show the true sensor raw file.

The above image was obtained by taking a flat (poorman's flat, a shot on a cream-colored wall) in the movie raw recording mode.
Then I used the raw2dng to extract individual frame. Then use "rawdigger" to examine the DNG file.
Remember that the Bayer sensor is in
RG
GB
arrangement.
The G1 and G2 pixels are not altered at all!
Only R-channel and B-channel have these PDAF pixels.

The above picture is a B channel only picture, not gone thru any deBayer processing.

The neighboring R and B pixels form a single group of P.D. array.

P.S. I'll do a better job after undoing the raw2dng's fix-up.
Also, I will have to get a better flat :) :).

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#5 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:50 AM

This is all very interesting info!

One thing I do not get though..the "movie-Raw" mode sounds brilliant...and if used with the right equipment could meet, or even exceed 4K camera quality...

Seems like there needs to be a USB3 option on the next Rebel TXi if this is going to continue...
Not even sure if that would be fast enough for that size bit rate..

I still do not understand how they can get higher resolutions than what comes in the camera as I thought this was all hardware based..or do I have that wrong?

I may just pick up a T4i (after I sell 2-3 other cameras LOL) and have some fun with the ML firmware! :cool:

Cheers, and thanks again for the awesome post!

#6 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Brent,

IMHO the recent trend of using PDAF pixels in main image sensor is a bad news on AP, since many pixels are doctored.
On the other hand, it's very useful for movie shooting.

Movie raw recording is too much a burden on SD memory card write, thus really should not be treated as a god-sent feature (many frames are dropped.)
Also note: it is not tethered shooting (i.e., Canon SDK only offers jpeg compressed images moving out of USB2 port during continuous readout mode.)
The workflow is even harder:
- break one gigantic file into multiple raw files - one frame per
- weave these frame one by one (edit out some you don't like) to form a movie <-- note that there will be many gaps anyway

Re: Magic Lantern
1. It is not a permanent firmware modification, one can always use the base Canon firmware
2. ML is available for many recent Canon DSLRs
3. Make sure that ML is applied to the matching Canon factory firmware version.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#7 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

How about feature 1 : can it help with seeing fainter stars in viewfinder ?
Alex

#8 Nicola

Nicola

Vendor: Skymonsters.net.

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Milan, Italy

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Can this hack work on a Canon 450D?

#9 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

Movie raw recording is too much a burden on SD memory card write, thus really should not be treated as a god-sent feature (many frames are dropped.)
Also note: it is not tethered shooting (i.e., Canon SDK only offers jpeg compressed images moving out of USB2 port during continuous readout mode.)
The workflow is even harder:
- break one gigantic file into multiple raw files - one frame per
- weave these frame one by one (edit out some you don't like) to form a movie <-- note that there will be many gaps anyway

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

That is what I figured...
It is funny that Nikon has full uncompressed HDMI output, which if the ML hack worked on Nikon (D7100/5200/800/4) then this would literally be a godsend!
But alas, Canon gives us great IN camera videos with little work, but with little that can be expanded on(edited,etc) due to the compression/etc, and Nikon gives us BRILLIANT HDMI output, but does not allow changing something as simple as the aperture WHILE shooting(on anything LESS than the D800/D4!!which is ridiculous, imho)!

It is very annoying times for filmmakers imho..well, filmmakers on a budget of *less* than $5-10k! lol
give it another year or so and hopefully that will change.. :fingerscrossed:
I just hope that everyone does not adopt the PDAF pixels on the imaging sensor; which will make a single camera only suitable for a single purpose (meaning, you will NEED to use a separate camera for AP, one for Video, and possibly even another one for daytime pics..if the PDAF pixels hinder photos in any way..)

Thanks for the explanations!
Cheers

#10 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

ML version 2.3 supported models:
STABLE
5Dmk2 2.1.2
50D 1.0.9
60D 1.1.1
500D 1.1.1
550D 1.0.9
600D 1.0.2

User Guide:
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide

Alpha quality:
650D 1.0.1
5D3
7D

Note: no support for DIGIC III or earlier.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#11 JPGriffin

JPGriffin

Mariner 2

• Loc: Melbourne, FL

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

I recently installed Magic Lantern on my full spectrum modified Canon 60Da (thanks Brent for another awesome mod job) but the cloudy Florida skies have prevented me from getting any astro photos. I have done some HDR stuff though using that firmware.

#12 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

How about feature 1 : can it help with seeing fainter stars in viewfinder ?
Alex

Alex,

Yes, #1 bypassed Canon's limitation but is applicable during LiveView
That in conjunction with #2 (extra slow fps, e.g., 0.15 fps which is 6.6 sec per exposure) will make the LCD display during LiveView very bright. Then you can set ISO to be very high at the same time.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#13 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

I found that in my T4i case, (ML ver 2.3 for my model is just an Alpha code), the ML firmware does not go well with BYEOS (SDK based access using PTP).
BYEOS still works as expected. Afterward, without BYEOS tethering, ML firmware is not working properly (some registers values were set to zero).
Have to take out the Li-Ion battery to reset the DSLR such that ML firmware will resume working properly.

Will report back on how not to cause the conflict between these two.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#14 Nicola

Nicola

Vendor: Skymonsters.net.

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Milan, Italy

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

ML version 2.3 supported models:
STABLE
5Dmk2 2.1.2
50D 1.0.9
60D 1.1.1
500D 1.1.1
550D 1.0.9
600D 1.0.2

User Guide:
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide

Alpha quality:
650D 1.0.1
5D3
7D

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

How sad...450D is not supported :(

#15 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

Nicola, not to be negative or say anything bad/wrong...
But the 450D does not have VIDEO, which is pretty much all this effects, so of course the 450D is not supported by THIS firmware hack.. ;)

AFAIK none of the ML firmware hacks support the 450D... sorry..
I could be wrong..check em out **HERE**
:)

#16 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Time to add the update:

My previous test release was version July 1, 2013 Alpha.
Today I tested August 1, 2013 Alpha.

It has some minor enhancement and one biggie:

you can turn on movie crop recording mode when in 1080P movie recording mode (no need to getting into RAW Movie recording hack).

During movie crop, only the center region is recorded.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#17 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'm running the Alpha ML on my 7D, and I love it. I no longer need to carry an intervalometer in my camera bag. I hope they release a version for the 6D soon.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics