• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 kbastro

kbastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

It's a question that I have a hard time with,,,
love my mounts and I am always excited to get new ones (over time), same for the scopes,,
I am not sure what excites me more.. a new scope or a new mount? either way it's still the kid looking in at the candy store.
kb

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

I like scopes on manual tracking alt-az mounts so I would have to say that I am more excited by a new scope than a new mount.

Of course, with a Dob, it's a package.

Jon

#3 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

A scope will get you through times with no mount better than a mount will get you through times with no scope . :)

Or is that the other way around ? :crazy:

#4 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

most scopes are white and boring. like sid vicious said," boring, boring, boring, scopes are boring"

now the M-uno has some style.

#5 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

Interesting . What kind of money do they get for that thing ?

#6 oo_void

oo_void

Viking 1

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:34 AM

Too much. ;)

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

http://www.iankingim...hp?category=177

GBP 3,998

#8 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

now the M-uno has some style.

No doubt about it; Italian industrial design has panache unequaled by anyone.

#9 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Being an aircraft mechanic and total gearhead I appreciate complex mechanical things. A telescope mount with all the precision gears, motors, and machined surfaces is poetry in motion. Watching a high speed slew complete with the sounds of calibrated gears and motors will bring a smile to my face quickly.

Some of the most amazing mounts in my opinion are the monsters that RCOS builds. Check out these videos of them in action during tests:

RC Optical Systems 24" Afocal RC with 10" Acquisition Scope, Coudé Path, and Slip Ring:
http://www.rcoptical.../bdvideoweb.mov

RCOS 0.81m Ritchey-Chrétien Telescope and Equatorial Fork Mount:
http://www.rcoptical...l Mount web.mov

A good mount is essential for astrophotography, tracking moving objects accurately, and being able to repeatedly see the same section of sky on any given night. I am way more excited about the craftsmanship and precision of a finely machined mount than I am of a precision telescope sitting in a homely wooden box.

obin ;)

#10 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

Being an aircraft mechanic and total gearhead I appreciate complex mechanical things. A telescope mount with all the precision gears, motors, and machined surfaces is poetry in motion. Watching a high speed slew complete with the sounds of calibrated gears and motors will bring a smile to my face quickly.

Some of the most amazing mounts in my opinion are the monsters that RCOS builds. Check out these videos of them in action during tests:

RC Optical Systems 24" Afocal RC with 10" Acquisition Scope, Coudé Path, and Slip Ring:
http://www.rcoptical.../bdvideoweb.mov

RCOS 0.81m Ritchey-Chrétien Telescope and Equatorial Fork Mount:
http://www.rcoptical...l Mount web.mov

A good mount is essential for astrophotography, tracking moving objects accurately, and being able to repeatedly see the same section of sky on any given night. I am way more excited about the craftsmanship and precision of a finely machined mount than I am of a precision telescope sitting in a homely wooden box.

obin ;)

OK, I want a mount that needs a flashing light on it so you know to get the hell out the way when it's slewing!

#11 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

OK, I want a mount that needs a flashing light on it so you know to get the hell out the way when it's slewing!

LOL that thing is serious isn't it!?! It slews so fast and smooth you could probably swat a mosquito with it too! Admit that if you could afford to buy and house that monster it would be in your backyard right now. You could do a Messier Marathon in record breaking time.

obin :lol:

#12 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

It's a question that I have a hard time with,,,
love my mounts and I am always excited to get new ones (over time), same for the scopes,,
I am not sure what excites me more.. a new scope or a new mount? either way it's still the kid looking in at the candy store.
kb

For me its neither the scope or a mount but how they work together as a well orchestrated symphony that excites me...

A mediocre OTA on a super mount gets you mediocre results!

A super OTA on a mediocre mount gets you mediocre results!

Put an optically top notch telescope on a well engineered, stable, super performing mount and that is what gets me excited...

So far I've managed two such excellent setups out of three, the third is a project in process causing much frustration at this time...

#13 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Mount

#14 dennilfloss

dennilfloss

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Definitely scope for me.

#15 pstarr

pstarr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

My first scope had a wobbly mount and I hated that mount. When I finally built my own, I went for overkill. So I like both. Nothing like great optics on a steady, driven mount.

Attached Files

#16 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

The scope. I can't see much looking through the mount.

#17 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Its all about the glass. ;)

#18 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

Hi,
I like mounts. I like tinkering and adjusting them to get the best performance. Spot on goto's and really low PE. The only problem is my most recent mount is performing so well out of the box there's nothing to work on. Now if Celestron would just release the StarSense I would have another toy to add to my mount.

Neilson

#19 pstarr

pstarr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

The scope. I can't see much looking through the mount.

You won't be able to see much trough the scope either if the mount is shaking all around or doesn't have smooth movements. The mount is at least half as important. :grin:

#20 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

I don't know for sure...you tell me. :lol: Mike

Attached Files

#21 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

I always found the mounts of HUGE professional telescopes astounding. Many tonnes (hundreds?) of machinery and optics moving with such precision. It's amazing! An absolute triump of engineering!

Now, as to those flashy, Italian mounts: Prissy-looking. Mounts for "girly-men!" ;) ;)

(It's just a joke. :) )

#22 garret

garret

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

The mount!,100%.

I have a 16 inch ASA Astrograph on a Paramount ME.
The mount: excellent mount with excellent build quality even the inside looks great , very good and complete software package.

The ASA astrograph: for Euro 18000,- pricetag very poor overall quality ; dirty mirror at delivery, loose decoration rings, loose black velvet inside (glued to tight), unstable focusser software, zero information about wiring, handling, cleaning and collimation at delivery, sandwich "carbonfiber" tube: the carbon fiber is paperthin, average mirror quality, incomplete at delivery (no excuse or explanation), the 1.8X Barlow (1150,- euro) has poor internal blackening... I'm very dissatisfied in ASA.

Garret van der Veen, The Netherlands

#23 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

The ASA astrograph: for Euro 18000,- pricetag very poor overall quality ; dirty mirror at delivery, loose decoration rings, loose black velvet inside (glued to tight), unstable focusser software, zero information about wiring, handling, cleaning and collimation at delivery, sandwich "carbonfiber" tube: the carbon fiber is paperthin, average mirror quality, incomplete at delivery (no excuse or explanation), the 1.8X Barlow (1150,- euro) has poor internal blackening...

:bigshock: :bigshock: :bigshock: Wow!!!

#24 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Scopes excite me. Mounts don't.

#25 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

No doubt, I would have said scopes when I started out but after many years now of actually using scopes - I have to say that mounts have become pretty exciting. I am of the opinion that in practice, a given scope is only going to be as good as the mount it rides on.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics