Nebraska Star Party - who's going?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

The Nebraska Star Party starts in 4 weeks. Who else is going besides me?

#2 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

I am (well, I had better, as I am one of the teachers for the Beginner's Field School). At least this year, the range land fire danger should be far less than last year, so it should be a fun time. Here is what my setup looked like last year at the entrance to Dob Row. Clear skies to you.

Attached Files

#3 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

I think I can see my roof top carrier just above your finder scope.

#4 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

My stargazing buddy and I are going- Sunday through Wednesday. This will be our first real star party. Bringing tricked out Z12 & Vixen 25x100 binos (and quite a bit of stuff to get rid of @ the swap meet). I hope to meet lots of the great folks I've chatted with here on CN.

Question: Do folks introduce themselves claiming their online identifiers at these things?

#5 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

My stargazing buddy and I are going- Sunday through Wednesday. This will be our first real star party. Bringing tricked out Z12 & Vixen 25x100 binos (and quite a bit of stuff to get rid of @ the swap meet). I hope to meet lots of the great folks I've chatted with here on CN.

Question: Do folks introduce themselves claiming their online identifiers at these things?

Most people just use their names (and name-tags are provided). A few people up there do have to tell me their online CN names however. Clear skies to you.

#6 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

My stargazing buddy and I are going- Sunday through Wednesday. This will be our first real star party.

You are in for a treat. The skies are awesome. I'm planning on being there from the 3rd to the 10th.

#7 krp

krp

Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

I'm considering stopping by for a night. I'll be on my way to Montana to attend a photography school. I was already planning to stay a couple nights at Badlands NP. But I found out the star party is going on at the same time and it's only 3 hours away.
Kevin

#8 Lamb0

Lamb0

Vanguard

• Loc: South Eastern(ish) Nebraska

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

:FarmerRon: Yup, I'll be there.

There's bound to be a few more from the "local" clubs as well.

I'm looking forward to meeting friends old, new, and hopefully a few who haven't been in attendance for awhile! :grin:

#9 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

Phil, enjoy yourselves. I won't be able to make it since I exhausted most of my vacation time during May and June. Don't have enough to take another week off. I have not been out observing since TSP and am hoping to get out this weekend if the weather ever cooperates.

#10 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

I won't be able to make it since I exhausted most of my vacation time during May and June. Don't have enough to take another week off.

Maybe you could sell upper management on the idea that it would be great for the company if they sent you to Nebraska for a week. Then you wouldn't have to use vacation and you would be getting paid! :lol: And if that works I'm going to need you to get me a job there. :lol:

#11 Diana N

Diana N

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

I'm planning to be there! (I've tried to go twice in the past, only to have last-minute problems pop up and derail the trip, but third time's the charm, right?)

#12 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

I realize that the number is a moving target with people coming and going the whole time, but with perfect weather, what would the NSP's peak attendance tend to be?

#13 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

I realize that the number is a moving target with people coming and going the whole time, but with perfect weather, what would the NSP's peak attendance tend to be?

I'm curious about this as well. It's difficult to judge how many people are there because not everyone observes from the observing field. Some people observe from the campgrounds. And the whole area is so big and spread out it's hard to say. Judging from this thread there will be at least five of us!

#14 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

I'm planning to be there! (I've tried to go twice in the past, only to have last-minute problems pop up and derail the trip, but third time's the charm, right?)

I feel your pain. Two years ago I had the car packed and was 10 minutes from leaving when a tragedy prevented me from making the trip. But I was able to make it last year and three years ago. Hopefully the third time will indeed be the charm for you.

#15 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

It has varied a lot from year to year. The first year when it didn't get a lot of advertisement, we had about 60 people, while at NSP-2, we had just under 200 show up, followed by NSP-3 at 250 attending. NSP-4 had 330 people attend, followed by our peak attendance of a little over 400 at NSP-5 (the one with the worst weather interestingly enough). Following that year (and the experience of the bad weather), the number attending declined to 330 at NSP-6, but went up to nearly 400 at NSP-7. It stayed in the 250 to 350 range for several years until the gas prices went up enough that the attendance has now dropped to between 150 and 250 typically. Last year, we were in the midst of a severe drouth that helped trigger extensive wildfires in the area, so we only had 175 people show up. In any case, we aren't all that concerned about the number of people that show up, as we are more interested in observing than anything else. Besides, a smaller attendance means more room for the rest of us up on Dow row :). This year, our keynote speaker is former Astronaut Clayton Anderson, so that might bring out just a little more interest, at least locally. Clear skies to you.

Attached Files

#16 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

CityKid, you'll have to wear your yellow t-shirt so that I can identify you. I'll be the one with the big, goofy grin on my face...

#17 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

I'll be the one that after four years, finally talked my wife into going and now walking around mumbling "what was I thinking?". :lol: (Just kidding Sweetie!)

#18 omahaastro

omahaastro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, NE

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

I've been contracting without paid vacation for the past 6 months, just finally got a permanent position with paid vacation time, but still accruing, so, if I make it up there at all, it'll most likely only be for a long weekend. I'll watch the weather to figure out which one to come up for. If I don't make it up there, I'll fall back on the South Dakota Star Party weekend.

#19 Diana N

Diana N

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it out for the entire NSP week, Jeff. This whole "working for a living" business sure plays havoc with observing! I hope the weather cooperates and you'll be able to enjoy at least some of the star party.

(I'd like to squeeze in the Iowa Star Party as well as NSP, but alas I'm on call on that Friday and Saturday, and I doubt I'll be able to arrange a call trade since it's a holiday weekend. Frustrating, but that's how it goes!)

#20 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

So for those of you going, what are you planning on observing? My primary targets will be dark nebula and planetary nebula. Beyond that I'll spend some time with showpiece objects and a lot of time just laying back and taking it all in with my naked eyes.

#21 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:43 AM

So for those of you going, what are you planning on observing? My primary targets will be dark nebula and planetary nebula. Beyond that I'll spend some time with showpiece objects and a lot of time just laying back and taking it all in with my naked eyes.

It depends on who shows up. If Dragon shows up with his 25 inch, we can go after a lot fainter targets (like the fainter Arp objects) than I can with my 14 inch. Otherwise, I will hit a few of the showpieces and then probably start working on the League's Planetary nebula observing program or its Galaxy Cluster program. I do have a few emission nebulae which I want to try for my old filter comparison project that I haven't had much luck with down here due to the lousy conditions we have been having lately, so I have a lot to choose from. I got all my field school manuals made, so all I have to do is some cleanup work and I should be ready for NSP. Clear skies to you.

#22 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

I plan on "observing" other peoples' scopes (as they're willingness permits) as we wait for dark. I want to get the few remaining Caldwell objects that I need (seasonally available). I am most worried about catching aperture fever and knowing there is very little I will be able to do to scratch this itch.

I, too, wanted to work on planetaries but hadn't given dark nebulae much thought. Your post made me realize this would have been :foreheadslap: a serious oversight.

#23 Diana N

Diana N

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

I don't have any set observing plans. My goals are much simpler - make friends with my two Dobs. I have a 10" PortaBall I've not done much with, and a new 8" Teeter's I literally just received. After a decade spend observing with a small refractory, my collimation skills are beyond rusty, and I've allowed myself to become intimidated by the entire process (especially using a laser+TuBlug, which didn't exist the last time I collimated a Newt). So I'm hoping for some help tweaking my two Newtonians, followed by some quality observing with my new toys.

#24 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

I just bought a TuBlug and haven't gotten the Glatter laser yet. I was also hoping for help collimating before it gets truly dark. Maybe we'll run into each other there. I've never been to NSP and imagine I'll be set up near Dob Row.

#25 Diana N

Diana N

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

I don't yet know where I'll be setting up, but I bet the odds of us meeting are high. See you at NSP 2013!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics