• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dcx3420

dcx3420

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Macomb, MI

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

I have owned three Q-6's and was impressed with the performance of all of them. I think they are the best 6" mac/cass scopes ever made.

However, I am curious if anyone has opinions on how the TEC-6 measures up to the Q-6 optically

#2 vahe

vahe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

I am not familiar with Q-6 but I can tell you about TEC-6 since I have one, this little Mak is a general purpose instrument, F/12 with 29.6% co. they typically test a bit better than 1/10th wave.

I can only assume that Q-6 is optically a larger version of Questar 3.5, meaning fairly large co., I wonder if anyone has done interferometry on one of these that will tell you all you need to know.

So how do they compare? Obviously I do not know but I can tell you that matching TEC-6 optics would be a tall order for any 6” Mak.

http://www.astro-for...utov-Cassegrain

Vahe

#3 dcx3420

dcx3420

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Macomb, MI

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Vahe, Lets hope someone chimes in. Interesting link.

I am not familiar with Q-6 but I can tell you about TEC-6 since I have one, this little Mak is a general purpose instrument, F/12 with 29.6% co. they typically test a bit better than 1/10th wave.

I can only assume that Q-6 is optically a larger version of Questar 3.5, meaning fairly large co., I wonder if anyone has done interferometry on one of these that will tell you all you need to know.

So how do they compare? Obviously I do not know but I can tell you that matching TEC-6 optics would be a tall order for any 6” Mak.

http://www.astro-for...utov-Cassegrain

Vahe

#4 Bob Abraham

Bob Abraham

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:55 AM

I own them both. My Quantum-6 is no longer used much but it's a fun telescope with a lot of history. But in my experience the TEC-6 has much better cool-down characteristics and better optics.

Bob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics