•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quantum-6 vrs TEC-6

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dcx3420

dcx3420

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Macomb, MI

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

I have owned three Q-6's and was impressed with the performance of all of them. I think they are the best 6" mac/cass scopes ever made.

However, I am curious if anyone has opinions on how the TEC-6 measures up to the Q-6 optically

#2 vahe

vahe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

I am not familiar with Q-6 but I can tell you about TEC-6 since I have one, this little Mak is a general purpose instrument, F/12 with 29.6% co. they typically test a bit better than 1/10th wave.

I can only assume that Q-6 is optically a larger version of Questar 3.5, meaning fairly large co., I wonder if anyone has done interferometry on one of these that will tell you all you need to know.

So how do they compare? Obviously I do not know but I can tell you that matching TEC-6 optics would be a tall order for any 6” Mak.

http://www.astro-for...utov-Cassegrain

Vahe

#3 dcx3420

dcx3420

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Macomb, MI

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Vahe, Lets hope someone chimes in. Interesting link.

I am not familiar with Q-6 but I can tell you about TEC-6 since I have one, this little Mak is a general purpose instrument, F/12 with 29.6% co. they typically test a bit better than 1/10th wave.

I can only assume that Q-6 is optically a larger version of Questar 3.5, meaning fairly large co., I wonder if anyone has done interferometry on one of these that will tell you all you need to know.

So how do they compare? Obviously I do not know but I can tell you that matching TEC-6 optics would be a tall order for any 6” Mak.

http://www.astro-for...utov-Cassegrain

Vahe

#4 Bob Abraham

Bob Abraham

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:55 AM

I own them both. My Quantum-6 is no longer used much but it's a fun telescope with a lot of history. But in my experience the TEC-6 has much better cool-down characteristics and better optics.

Bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics