Meade ETX-125 Eyepiece Holder

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Van Huynh

Van Huynh

Sputnik

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased an ETX-125 with a missing eyepiece holder. Is this something that can be purchased/replaced? If not, is there a DIY alternative? I've attached a photo to show the missing part. Thank you, Tuong.

Attached Files

#2 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

The easiest solution might be using the ETX camera port and a threaded adapter to mount a 1.25" diagonal. Keep the internal mirror flipped-up and put a cap or some tape over the hole.

#3 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

I doubt you will be able to replace the broken 1.25" eyepiece holder on your ETX without resorting to having an adapter custom machined. :bawling:

However ... as already suggested ... you can use a 1.25" star diagonal attached to the rear photo port by purchasing a Meade ETX Back Cell Adapter ($19.99):

Meade Back Cell Adapter

and a Meade 1.25" Eyepiece Holder ($23.79):

Eyepiece Holder

Here's a shot of my ETX-125 with a 2" diagonal attached to the rear photo port using the ETX Back Cell Adapter.

Attached Files

#4 Van Huynh

Van Huynh

Sputnik

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Chris - *skyguy* - Thanks for the responses.

*skyguy*, Does your setup clear the base when approaching zenith? I thought about doing it this way, but it seems like there isn't enough space. Thank you

#5 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

Another option is calling Meade to see if the have a replacement back plastic OTA assembly.

A 1.25" diagonal has a better chance of clearing the fork when pointing at the zenith than a 2" diagonal does.

And there is a possibility that if you pick up a used 1.25" metal diagonal off of eBay or someplace, you will be able to unscrew the piece you need from the diagonal and use it on the scope. A bit of epoxy miht be required.

#6 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

*skyguy*, Does your setup clear the base when approaching zenith? I thought about doing it this way, but it seems like there isn't enough space. Thank you

No, the 2" diagonal does hit the base near the zenith and the 1.25" diagonal would also hit the base. However, setting up the tripod in equatorial mode and running the scope in Polar mode would solve the this problem.

#7 Van Huynh

Van Huynh

Sputnik

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

I think I'll go with the cell back adapter, 1.25" holder, and diagonal combo. Thanks again, Tuong.

#8 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

One of these metal backs would do, and actually, be an imporvement?
www.wegatoptical.com

#9 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

These things are pressed in while hot. I have one around. It ain't pretty, but it'll do the job. Yours if you want to give it a shot. I used to buy the backs from Bill Vorce and use the the eyepiece holders to replace those on the Nexstar 4 Maks that always seemed to go missing in the showroom [they thread in]. If the hole is enlarged some epoxy will do it.
Let me know by PM if you want it.

#10 Van Huynh

Van Huynh

Sputnik

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:31 AM

moynihan - Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried this telescope out yet, so I'm not sure if the optics are any good. I'd hate to spend money on a Wegat back just to find out that the optics are mediocre.

George - I'm going to send you a PM in a moment. Thanks

#11 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

ETX 90/105/125 optics have always been excellent.

It was the 125 mount that was always problematic.

#12 Van Huynh

Van Huynh

Sputnik

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:05 AM

George - Thank you for the holder. It fit perfectly. I used a little epoxy just for added security. In fact, the epoxy is drying as I am typing this.

Thank you to everyone else for you time and advice.

Take care, Tuong.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics