• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tyranthrax

Tyranthrax

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have watched this corner and have been thankful for you guys showing me what a double is. I have a couple I like and each time I think I see one I love, I fall in love with another object. One of the tops in the list, if not my top, is Albireo. I hope the following picture will do this wonder justice and make you all proud.

Attached Files

#2 Nucleophile

Nucleophile

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

simply gorgeous--well done!

(just wait till Almach comes around---you've made her jealous!)

#3 Tyranthrax

Tyranthrax

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

TY! I just looked Almach up. . .when is it in view?

#4 Nucleophile

Nucleophile

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

I generally view it in the autumn months--but you can see it if you stay up really late (or get up early).

Many consider these two to be rival beauties--some prefer one, while others prefer the other one--its the classic Ginger or Mary Ann argument. :lol:

The cool thing about Almach B is it also is a double---but so very tight!

#5 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

That's outstanding!!!! Bravo sir!!!!

Truly, you did good.

Pete

#6 Ben Therrell

Ben Therrell

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

Yes, your colors are very good

#7 AjithSeattle

AjithSeattle

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

Beautiful indeed. I see "6se" noted in the image, any other techniques to get the colors that sharp?

#8 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:19 AM

This is how I see it in my 10 inch:

Attached Files

#9 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

Looks good, colors are quite accurate.

Rich (RLTYS)

#10 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

Gorgeous!

#11 Tyranthrax

Tyranthrax

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Beautiful indeed. I see "6se" noted in the image, any other techniques to get the colors that sharp?

AjithSeattle

I hav been blessed with really good skies, I live in the high desert, so its not too hot, I mean it is hot but not that bad. There is virtually no hummidity and at the day time and middle of the night there ar usually no clouds, which help cool things down at night, the heat escapes.

http://www.telescope...s/Orion-Star...

Is the camera I use. one of the things I have always foudn challenging was the proper settings. I kinda honestly stumbled on the proper settings a fwenights ago when I was trying to get it in teh ballpark focused. If I am trying to shoot an image of a planitary nebula I have to crank up the gain setting to X256 (which puts about a 5-6 second delay) trying to focus at this setting is a bear, so to get it in the ball park if I have moved the setting (going between barlow or not changes the focus) I foudn it faster to point at a star and turn the gain down. One draw back to the camera is the clunky settings controls on the back of it. I have to click to the menue and then to the control part. From there I have to click the button each time to change the setting. I hadn't changed it from the color setting and had the Auto white balance in the right spot by pure accident. (set to wide bandwidth)I also had to have my generic video settings of contrast, brightnss and what not all put back to default as I had messed with them when I first got the camera and in playing with them had to set it back to default. As I brought the gain back down I noticed the coloration on my preview screen and I had taken it down from X256 to about X8 it just popped on the screen. I have learned to just record soethign that catches my eyes. My rule of thumb is to record it, I can always delete the trash.

The firs thing I do is record the imag at normal, then It has a zoom setting. when I talked to irion before i ordered it they said it is like having a 5mm eyepiece. so I did what we all seem to do, get creative, I said why not se if the barlow will work, so I put it in behind the barlow and zoom in once I get that centerd.

Run the avi through registax, I only end up doing the RGB esitmator, and run it a second time. realign with proccessed. that sharpens it up alot. In photoshop I circle the stars copy them and put them on a second layer, so I can click them easier. invert the selevtion and darken the back to knock the noise out of the back. I just reselect each star and adjust he level slider, I bring the white down to the moment it touches the pixle pile and stop, then I do the same with the dark. All the color is generally there, I have had to bring the vibrance up like +15 but thats it maybe smudge the edges if the feathering the rough edges doesn't look right, you know wher eit looks like you cu and pasted, but the key seems to be getting a good RAW asI call it to work with. I can post the raw right from registax so you can see the starting point. I've gotten to where I am quite happy with my stars, I plan on going back on moonless nights with good skies and redoing objects I was never happy with. But some objects I just lack the skill to bring it out the way I want it to, I have a raw of andromeda I can't seem to get to work and I have bee nplaying with lvels to try to lighten the stars in the herculeasse cluster, but it just doesn't look right. Trial and error seem to be helping me alot as well as great advice here.

#12 Tyranthrax

Tyranthrax

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

it also helps I have slight perfectionism and am not satisfied unless its just perfect.

#13 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Finally had a bit a clear sky with avg conditions last night. I live in an orange area unfortunately and I've had my share of clouds for sometime. I was able to get my 6SE out for awhile and had some nice views at 60X and 88X. Very colorful double. Very nice golden yellow and blue... wow! What a nice view

#14 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

One of these days I need to make a sketch of thee Winter Alberio and compare it to the actual summer Alberio. Hmm, I think a sketch is coming this week in the refractor and then again this winter. I enjoy both. Nice sketches.

#15 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

I would enjoy seeing them.... :grin:

#16 petrus45

petrus45

Mariner 2

• Loc: SW Ohio / N Ky.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:40 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have watched this corner and have been thankful for you guys showing me what a double is. I have a couple I like and each time I think I see one I love, I fall in love with another object. One of the tops in the list, if not my top, is Albireo. I hope the following picture will do this wonder justice and make you all proud.

Saw it this evening in person for the first time in the Z10 - an awesome sight, especially that blue!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics