A couple of captures last night.. M13 and Iris Neb

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'm not trying to have perfect images, I'm just trying to catalog new objects with my AP and use it as a logbook of sorts.... so there are some technical flubs in these... But I am happy nonetheless..

M13 - Been trying to capture this for a while.. I didnt get super deep, but it presents an image similar to what I see in the EP.

Posted Image

Iris Nebula - I didnt even know this existed until last night... I was test imaging that area of the sky looking for good targets and was this in stellarium.. Looked it up and figured I'd give it a shot. I will revisit it tonight with more data if I have time. This is 20X10 seconds with the hyperstar.

Posted Image

#2 dmcnally

dmcnally

Mariner 2

• Loc: Lompoc, CA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

The images look good to me. If they help you build a catalog, all the better.

I'm a noob and I didn't buy a camera to get publication quality images. I bought a camera (stock Canon T3) to use as a tool to help me find objects before I got a good Go-To mount. I mounted the camera, and a 75-300mm telephoto lens for a wide field view, piggyback on my OTA and took a picture to see if anything showed up. If it did, I knew I was in the right area and then I would adjust the mount accordingly.

And thanks for the image of the Iris Nebula. I didn't know it existed either and it looks really cool. Hmmm... I wonder how well it will show up on an unmodded camera. :-)

#3 shrevestan

shrevestan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

You can do the Iris just fine with an unmodded camera since it's a reflection nebula and not emission.

#4 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

You can do the Iris just fine with an unmodded camera since it's a reflection nebula and not emission.

Yes but it's still a tough target, especially getting the dust. Good luck!

#5 jsines

jsines

Mariner 2

• Loc: Berkley. Michigan

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Nice images. I think I'll add the Iris Nebula to my to-do list, I haven't seen it before and I like it a lot. Nice to know it's available in my area, too. :)

#6 shrevestan

shrevestan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Yes but it's still a tough target, especially getting the dust. Good luck!

Yes it is! I didn't even know I had dust in my humble attempt until the 3rd time reprocessing it, lol.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics