I'm doing the "shopping cart dance"...

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#76 crow

crow

Ranger 4

• Loc: BC, Canada

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Playing devils advocate, I'm not sure the edge is the scope for you. This is from someone with a Tec140 on order, so I have no particular skin in the game. But with a couple of jam jar bottoms in the baffle and a predicted near forty percent price drop in a year or two you'll never be happy with it. :)

#77 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

TEC 140. Hmm...I think I have one of those round here somewhere...

...oh, there it is!

Posted Image

:grin:

- Jim

#78 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Jim, I'll be looking forward to your critique of which ever scope you end up buying... :lol:

Steve

#79 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mill Creek, Washington

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

I started in astronomy in 1976 and have been in and out of the hobby 3 times. But I've always kept in touch by reading the astro magazines and the internet forms. I am now back in the hobby for as long as I am physically able to pack around my equipment.

The one thing that has been constant all these years is the reputation of the C9.25. These have had a superb reputation by the owners for all these decades. I don't remember the last time I read a bad review about the C9.25 optics. I have been able view thru a few of them over the years and they were fantastic scopes. Because of back problems I've never been able to own one but sure wished I could!!

I don't think you would be sorry by purchasing the 9.25 Edge. Quit worrying about the price/value issue, you'll forget about that once you get to observe with the 9.25. And you're wasting observing time with indecision. :lol:

#80 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

Its been interesting looking at these threads.....Ahw the search for the perfect scope.....lol..
I know as we all do how frustrating this can be...
I once bought a Meade 8" ACF and was exited about the optics,but sent it back to buy a AT8RC...great optics..

But missied the versatility of the CAT..options Flocal reducers reductions closed sealed tube...ect...Just think a cat is one of the most versetial scopes made..(IMHO)..
So I bought a standard C9.25 and fell in love.....BUT having used a flat field CAT 8"ACF....I longed for that VIEW..
So I wanted a C9.25 HD...(vents ,flat field,locks and great reviews...So went back and forth in the TRIGER BOX...
I ended Up with a new C11-HD..One of the reasons..is that if I bought That scope I could not get any appature fever
as it is the largest, lightest portable scope ....and easy to resell.....I just did not want that .........could of went bigger...I get older evey day and time is important...
Life is about the journey.....
So when I use my new C11-HD.....I have a good feeling that I did the right thing........Its the best potable scope I could ever want....(no more of those "can only be seen in 10" or larger comments in magazines for me)....LOL..

SATISFACTION is a KEY ISSUE in this process.....good luck
and we all wait for you'r First light review...
any of the C8,C9.25,C11 HD Edges scope will be a joy of using...and soo easy to resell..And remember that most good
dealers have at least a 30 Day satisfaction return so get
it (C11 or C9.25 Edge ) while on sale and return it
if your not nuts over it and get the other while you can.

PS...The others reading this thread will be looking for a "Slightly used Edge"" for a deal...lol
at most might cost shipping one way ($50)

#81 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Like a lot of folks here I like to scan the classifieds just to see what is being offered. They also tend to tell a story . . . a few scopes hardly ever show up there, which tells me that people who own them are just loathe to let them go this side of bankruptcy desperation. You don't see many AP or TEC refractors for sale, and in SCTs I personally rarely see a 9.25 OTA or any Edge OTAs for sale. That tells me that people who have them tend to hang onto them, and that implies that they are darn good scopes.

#82 Benjamin B

Benjamin B

Apollo

• Loc: Sweden

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

I do see quite some edge telescopes every week on astromart. Often c8 and c11. I do also think that c9, 25 is not that popular as the c11 which is a big seller when it comes to large telescopes.

#83 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

I did a sort for one year on hd and edge...on am
There were only a few otas.....but there is now a great 1 yo 8" edge at 875 shipped....hummmm..

There were also few scopes with mounts ,,,but that's it...If you look close at the list a lot of them are "lookin for ads.. :smirk:

They seam to sell fast

#84 crow

crow

Ranger 4

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Jim, yeah I thought you had a Tec. Very nice. does it have the F/T or Tec focuser?

I'm beginning to understand this whole shopping cart thing, I'm in the middle of buying a dslr. So far its been Nikon, Canon, Nikon, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Canon etc etc.

Mega, that was my thinking with 1100 edge exactly. Mine isn't going anywhere.

#85 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Mine has the FT focuser. It's S/N 446. I think that was two or three runs before TEC started making its own focusers. For years my adventure camera has been an Olympus E420 micro 4/3rds DSLR. I chose it primarily for the price and compactness for backpacking/bouldering. It has taken a licking and is still ticking, but has gotten somewhat long of tooth by current standards. I was looking to refresh my DSLR, and a funny thing happened. I accidentally read a few reviews of the new class of enthusiast point and shoots; cameras like the Sony RX100, Olympus YZ-2, etc. The bang for per cubic centimeter of volume is insane. But in keeping with the cheap bastahd in me, I shopped them for value. One of the stalest if these prosumer point and shoots was the Panasonic Lumix LX7. A year and a half ago it was a $600 camera. I bought one new for just under $300. For my intended use, I'm ecstatic.

I have big plans for a thoroughly illustrated article covering this trip, complete with dozens of images from the entire OFLI astro-crew. I suspect the itty-bitty Panasonic will more than hold its own. I'm still learning the features though. It's loaded. My most immediate project for the camera is to figure out the panorama mode so that I can do my own custom realistic horizons for Sky Safari. :grin:

But I digress. I'm still wrestling with the "which 9.25" question. The best SCT I've ever looked through is CNer Varmint's C9.25 (an older made in USA model). I've never seen a bad one, in fact. Also, as you say, of the six apertures, the 9.25 alone has a "hallowed" reputation. I'm starting to convince myself that I can't go wrong with either C9.25.

Also, I'm planning on getting a CPC-1100 Deluxe next year sometime as my portable observatory for a 2 week backcountry extravaganza during my upcoming sabbatical (or the next time the CPC Deluxes go on sale), so eventually I'll enjoy the Edge enhancements even if I go standard SCT for this trip.

I'm gonna pick one *before* I go to bed tonight...

:praying:

Regards,

Jim

#86 fjs

fjs

Apollo

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

I'm gonna pick one *before* I go to bed tonight...

:praying:

Regards,

Jim

Just don't bash your head on the keyboard.

#87 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Under the sky

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:54 AM

The C9.25 is only believed to be hallowed because it gets posted and re-posted as such :grin: it just happens to sit in the sweet spot between the C8 and C11...most really want more than a C8 but don't like the all the noise about mirror shift from the C11, and think it's bigger than it really is, which isn't all that much bigger than the C9.25.

$800 for the Edge is a big pocketful of change :question: :grin:

#88 crow

crow

Ranger 4

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

Jim, The Panasonics look really good. I've a big need for video as well as photo for a current project and in that respect they probably beat out the canons. The GH3 is very impressive. I've always had a soft spot for Nikon gear though and the 7100 looks really good but mostly for photo work I guess. The Nikons have a slightly clunky video mode although the quality is there for sure.

I need to sit down and narrow it down, there are a lot of good options out there at the moment which makes it tough. The new Canon looks interesting also.

The weird thing is I'm making a way bigger deal over a 1-2k camera than I ever did purchasing the the 3 grand Edge. I kind of like the jam jar bottoms in the baffle. :)

#89 orion61

orion61

Skylab

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Drum Rollll.......So which is it?

#90 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

Well..............? :foreheadslap:

:tonofbricks: :help:

:question:

#91 McUH

McUH

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

then in two years when standard SCTs are no more, and the 9.25 Edge HDs are priced at $1300 I'll have the privilege of kicking myself all over again on the value question. :grin:

True, but with this attitude you will never buy anything :grin:! My computer was more expensive than the Edge and I know it will need replacement after 4 years. At least the scope will perform equally well even if the price drops and it should be useful for many many years to come.

it has to be *worth* $800 (any Ethos) more

This is individual and only you can decide for yourself. I'm visual only and for me Edge was worth it for C9. On the other hand, for me the Ethos is not worth the increase over decent $150-$200 eyepiece. However, if you already have Ethos, then you have one more strong point towards the Edge - for extra wide eyepieces you should choose a scope that can match theirs FOV in performance.

#92 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

"True, but with this attitude you will never buy anything!"

That is a non-sequitur. What it actually means is that I will not buy anything *new*; I won't be an early adopter and instead will but goods that have been out for awhile and whose prices have surrendered the hype-driven premium that surrounds a new product.

The best values are usually to be had with established products that have been superseded in the consuming public's short attention span by bright new objects.

But as it turns out I did buy the "new". I went for the Edge HD C9.25, added an Astrozap passive dew shade for now (the trip will be very dry) and also a Feathertouch Microfocuser. I'll need a dew heater strip eventually, too. I already have a C9.25 Pacific Design padded soft case, and the 2.7" Astro-Physics SCT visual back. I also ordered the new Orion Atlas upgrade kit (CW carrier, larger eyepiece tray, beefier CW shaft and extra 11# CW) but it's on pre-order and is projected to ship on August 13th. It may or may not arrive in time for the trip as a result. When I get back, I also plan on refreshing my Atlas. Sell my well-used 7-year old unit and replace it with a new one. My Atlas has never been sick a day in its life. Club mates with CGEMs have had ongoing problems. The Atlas may not be *NEW* but to me, it's the best value in mid capacity mounts. Though it might be cool to fetch one of the white Sky-Watcher versions out of Canada for something less common.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This did turn out to be a "crowd-sourced" purchase. :lol:

Regards,

Jim

#93 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Ah! You decided! I think you'll be happy with that choice!

#94 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

Two things clinched it. The purported extra time taken centering the corrector to ensure that Fastar on the Edge scopes actually works as intended, and the bigger rear aperture/baffle allowing me to use my A-P 2.7" adapter and minimize vignetting using wide field 2" eyepieces and a 2" diagonal.

I think I'll be pretty happy too, though I suspect the first time a dust devil engulfs the scope, I'll be wishing it was the cheaper standard C9.25. :lol:

- Jim

#95 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hey good for u...enjoy...
It will be interesting to read your adventure..

#96 Gord

Gord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Jim, good choice (I think)! If it ends up being like a lot (myself included...) got, I think you are going to like it. It is quite amazing to see the entire field look perfect. Perfect little airy disks everywhere!

Clear skies,

#97 mskillen

mskillen

Sputnik

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Congratulations Jim, glad you figured it out =)
I would like to hear what you think of it after you have had it out for a test run.

#98 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

I was a day late on this thread. I was going to suggest the 8"EdgeHD. I have one with the AVX mount and fully assembled with weights, cameras, it is so light I can pick it up and carry it. Makes grab and go a reality for me.

#99 mattz

mattz

Viking 1

• Loc: Where is Rescue CA?

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

Always go with quality in this type of decision. (B)

And PM me when you want to sell the C6...

And have fun!

#100 mattz

mattz

Viking 1

• Loc: Where is Rescue CA?

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Ah, I see you took my advice before I even gave it! Very good. Enjoy the new scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics