#1 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

This was touched in an earlier thread of mine when I almost sold the AVX:

http://www.cloudynig...rd=lxd55&amp...

So if I unblock the Sun from the menu and use a compass to polar align, is it possible to do a quick alignment using only the Sun?

I welcome any feedback on this. Clear skies are forecasted for the next few days and I'd like to use my mount!

#2 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Yes. Enable the Sun, then when you start select a solar system Alignment and the Sun.

Chris

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Steve,

Yes, there is a good solar system alignment routine in the firmware, I use it quite often. Of course doing it this way first assumes you have a solar filter. You can do the coarse finder alignment by just using the shadow of the scope/finder. With a wide field eyepiece in the primary scope this coarse type of alignment works well. Just remember to keep anything any finder or scope capped unless you have a solar filter on it.

To make the alignment as easy as possible make sure your time information is accurate, I use the time on my PC right after a web time synch and input the time close to the second ... this way you're most likely to have the sun in the field of view.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics