CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Daytime alignment of my AVX?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

This was touched in an earlier thread of mine when I almost sold the AVX:

http://www.cloudynig...rd=lxd55&amp...

So if I unblock the Sun from the menu and use a compass to polar align, is it possible to do a quick alignment using only the Sun?

I welcome any feedback on this. Clear skies are forecasted for the next few days and I'd like to use my mount!

#2 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Yes. Enable the Sun, then when you start select a solar system Alignment and the Sun.

Chris

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Steve,

Yes, there is a good solar system alignment routine in the firmware, I use it quite often. Of course doing it this way first assumes you have a solar filter. You can do the coarse finder alignment by just using the shadow of the scope/finder. With a wide field eyepiece in the primary scope this coarse type of alignment works well. Just remember to keep anything any finder or scope capped unless you have a solar filter on it.

To make the alignment as easy as possible make sure your time information is accurate, I use the time on my PC right after a web time synch and input the time close to the second ... this way you're most likely to have the sun in the field of view.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics