• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:47 AM

Howdy all;

Here is a drawing of the dark nebula Barnard 142 and 143 in Aquila. It was done in a 6 inch f/6 Maksutov-Newtonian at 40X.

I tried using the "dotted line" technique for marking the dark areas. I am not certain that I liked it, I might try it again with more dashed lines. I notice many of you reverse your drawings to black background and light stars, I will give that a try as well.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Attached Files

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

I might try it again with more dashed lines.

You can also try to give the background (except the dark nebula) a light grey color. After inverting it will give the dark nebula a darker color.

#3 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

Jef;

Would I do that with a layer? I just ordered Photoshop Elements 11 yesterday so I will have a learning curve when trying to use it to make the nebula dark.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

#4 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

Nice work Steve,
Another option is black paper with pastel pencils. I really found they work great for sketching.

Ken

#5 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

Ken;

How to you do that under a red light? Do you make the sketch in the field with a Number 2 pencil then reverse it under white light at home? How do you make the white circles for drawing? A peanut butter lid?

Thanks;
Steve Coe

#6 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

Steve,
I have been doing lunar sketches with black paper and pastels so the light hasn't been an issue. I have tried some DSO's with that technique and didn't have any issues seeing. I also have done the sketch in pencil and then inside resketched with black paper.

I use a CD and a White pen to make the circle.

Hope this helps. I am still fairly new to sketching only about a year under my belt. It can be a lot of fun.

Ken

#7 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Would I do that with a layer?

I have no experience in working with layers, but some sketchers have some fine result with it.

#8 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hi Steve,

Nice sketch. With regards to deep-sky sketches I have tried different techniques including using black paper with white pencils, black paper with colored pencils, and white paper with lead pencils.

Also I have tried white paper with lead pencils and then inverted it once scanned into the computer.

In some ways I find using black paper with white pencils at the eyepiece easier because it matches the view through the eyepiece.

On the other hand I find that erase marks can show up more easily on black paper than white paper. So I need to try and clean them up after I scan the sketch in.

Either way it can be a nice way to spend a night under the stars. Unlike when sketching a planet or the Moon where you need to record the detail quickly deep-sky objects don't move, and you can observe and record more detail again on subsequent nights to finish the sketch.

Here are some of the deep-sky objects I have sketched:

http://ejamison.net/deepsky.html

Best,

Eric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics