CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Higher resolution with BW setting on a SDC 435?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zoomster

Zoomster

Vendor - Clear Sky Adventures

• Vendors
  • Loc: Tampa FL

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

I was curious if using the black and white mode on the Samsung SDC 435 yields better resolution, I usually shoot in color but would love to know anyone's experience using black and white.

#2 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Soyuz

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Nope. The camera is natively color. All you're doing when going to B&W is striping the color out of the video.

#3 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

All the pixels make the luminance (monochrome) image eg Max resolution. Colour extracted from 2x2 block of pixels eg a 'soft' image overlaid onto luminance for a sharp coloured image.

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

So as Dan and Maurice have described the native resolution isn't improved but you may find on small objects that working in B/W mode is sometimes preferable. There appears to be less noise in B/W (there really isn't less noise, it just looks that way I believe because of how our eyes respond to different colors) and that allows some finer details to be more easily viewed.

#5 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Skylab

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Removing the IR filter helps a lot. After that the Sammy 435 is a great "bang for the buck" cam.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics