LX200 10" F/6.3 Alignment ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Hello, I have a question about My LX200 10". With the scope being set up on a permanent pier in an observatory,Is there a way you can set it up so as to not have to do an alignment every time you go out to observe? Or is this not possible with the Classic mount? Oh Yeah,also I forgot to mention the fact that it is a Classic mount. I would appreciate any advice here. Thanks

#2 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Once the scope is polar aligned, all you have to do is sync the scope on one known star (e.g. Arcturus) and it will know exactly where it is. You are all set to go!

Otherwise, the Classic scope's handbox does not have any internal "Parking" program like later model scopes do. However, its default parking position is predictable. When you boot up the scope each time, it thinks it is pointing at:

1. RA: intersection of the Celestial Equator and the Meridian

2. DEC: upon bootup, it thinks it is pointing at "0" (zero) DEC.

So you could park it precisely at those RA/DEC locations and the next time you cold boot the scope it will already be pointing at the default location and your scope will be aligned and ready to go.

#3 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

Thanks for the reply LoveChina61

#4 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Once the scope is polar aligned, all you have to do is sync the scope on one known star (e.g. Arcturus) and it will know exactly where it is. You are all set to go!

Otherwise, the Classic scope's handbox does not have any internal "Parking" program like later model scopes do. However, its default parking position is predictable. When you boot up the scope each time, it thinks it is pointing at:

1. RA: intersection of the Celestial Equator and the Meridian

2. DEC: upon bootup, it thinks it is pointing at "0" (zero) DEC.

So you could park it precisely at those RA/DEC locations and the next time you cold boot the scope it will already be pointing at the default location and your scope will be aligned and ready to go.

So you say, that the scope would need to be mounted on a wedge in order to accomplish this? Since you stated once polar aligned? Or can they same be done,Synced, while being alt/az mounted? It is not a headache to realign every time yet it would be nice to save a little time.

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

So you say, that the scope would need to be mounted on a wedge in order to accomplish this? Since you stated once polar aligned? Or can they same be done,Synced, while being alt/az mounted? It is not a headache to realign every time yet it would be nice to save a little time.

In Northern hemisphere alt/az operation, it presumes that it is pointed South (yes, South) and level. You have to turn off Smart Drive in EQ mode to take maximum benefit, though, as the mount does an auto RA worm index seek on powerup if that is enabled and that motion is effectively random (depends on where the work is when powered down).

#6 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Yes, I was speaking of a scope permanently mounted on a wedge in an observatory and then accurately polar aligned. Upon first starting the scope up again, just do a quick one-star alignment via the Classic's handbox controller and you are all set to go!

JohnC's answer was excellent concerning Alt/Az alignment.

#7 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

John C, Thanks a lot for your reply,I will give it a try next time I get down to the observatory. I like your OBS by the way. Wish I could get away with putting one up like that over the garage yet would not be able to get it by the boss.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics