• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Helveticus

Helveticus

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

For the first time in my life i saw Saturn at daylight! I aligned my CPC 800 only with the Moon and made a goto to Saturn and there it was, nearly centered in the 13mm Ultima LX eyepiece, fantastic! :bow:

#2 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

I've done Mercury and Venus but never Saturn! You've inspired me. I'll have to give that a try.

With any daylight viewing (especially Mercury, Venus or other planets close in angle to the sun) you should do your slewing and aiming with a sun filter on the scope. I always first verify that the object is safely away from the sun that my main scope and finder scope won't include the sun. Then keep the caps on the finder scope period. Keep the solar filter on the main scope until done slewing. Do a visual look from the side to make sure the scope is pointing well away from the sun. Then remove the filter.

Quite rewarding experience though!!

Jim in Boulder

#3 Helveticus

Helveticus

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

Hi Jim, you post is very important about beeing carful about the sun when dooing daytime planet search, i always take care of that. Also a good idea is to set the telescope up in the shadow of the sun, sun hidden behind a building so youre on the safe side....
Saturn was just a little more bright than the sky, it took a while so see. It helps first adjusting the focus on the moon or a distant terrestric object and, after the scope has slewed to the planet, slewing slowly up and down so that Saturn "jumps in to your eye". Hope this helps.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics