13' 1920's antique copper observatory dome

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nmoushon

nmoushon

Vostok 1

• Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

If I owned my own home I would snatch this up in a heart beat! I love classical architecture and this would fit perfect in my vision of my future obsy. But could look great matched with a more modern obsy as well. I would hate to see this go to the trash yard or sold for scrap so I posted it here so hopefully it could find a new home. For the rest like me would can't have an absy of their own I posted this here so you could oooo and awww with me since I can't buy it either.

web page

Click on the item description link to open a new window and then scroll down to the view more pictures of it.

#2 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Yes I've seen this before, It has a beautiful green copper patina that you only get from many years out in the weather, and it's too nice to destroy it for salvage of the copper. If it was 20 feet instead of 13, I would jump on it, but alas, my 10 inch refractor is 14 feet long!....... :bawling:

#3 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Wow what a treasure! No ones bid on it yet!

#4 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

I just knew it was going to be that one again. :foreheadslap: I'm blessed with psychic abilities.

#5 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

I just knew it was going to be that one again. :foreheadslap: I'm blessed with psychic abilities.

Riiiiight.

#6 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Wow what a treasure! No ones bid on it yet!

Of course not!

As was thoroughly covered in a previous thread here regarding sale of this dome, the logistics and costs of transporting and re-erecting it on a new base at another distant site potentially could be huge.

Even if the dome were given away totally free of charge by the institution involved such a project honestly wouldn't prove worthwhile economically.

BrooksObs

#7 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

Unless there's a minimum that's not shown someone's gonna get it for $2,000.00 plus 16% premium and what ever it costs to ship it. It looks like it's copper clad over oak planking with an iron base ring. The shipping is gonna be a big ticket! Even so it's still a beauty and building one like it would cost a lot more than this guys gonna pay to get this.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics