Hi, just a short update...

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:01 AM

Well it's been almost 12 Month since the back surgery and I am feeling fitter than ever... I think I told you that the power pack gave up the ghost so I could not set up the 8SE, well I found a plug in, 12v adapter that does a great job... :jump: :jump: :jump:... I spent best part of yesterday (Wednesday) setting up the finder scopes and generally bringing the mount and scope back on line... It is too light in my neck of the woods at this time of year to do any observing (it does not get dark until after midnight) so I have just done a few dummy set ups all seems to be in order... :grin: I am going to the far flung North of Scotland in September and the scope is going with me, they have some of the darkest skies in the country up there so I should have a great time, I will take lots of photos and give a full report on how I get on... Speak to you all soon... :bow:

Attached Files

#2 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

Good to hear from you again Geoff. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Glad your back has responded well and that you are seemingly, "fit as a butchers dog" or at least, heading that way. :lol:
The summer months are a little blank for us "northern folk" regarding observing. I have managed the odd half hour or so with the Moon and Saturn but little else.
Good to see you are setting up the 8se again. Have a great time in Scotland. Looking forward to seeing the resulting photo's

Regards. Peter.

#3 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

Good to hear you are on the mend Geoff! Nice that your scope is too.

#4 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

Good to hear from you Geoff. Look forward to those pictures.

#5 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

Hi Geoff:

Glad to hear you got the scope up and running again. Can't wait to see the pictures!
-Dan

#6 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Glad to hear everything is goin good Geoff!!

#7 TmaninTn

TmaninTn

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN USA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Glad you are back in action Geoff! Clear skies to you!

#8 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Well it never rains but it pours as the saying goes... Today I cut my thumb off while using the bench saw... I have to go over to Newcastle in the morning for constructive plastic surgery... It's in the same Hospital that fixed my back, hell I like the place, but I don't want to be making it an annual trip out... :foreheadslap:

#9 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Well it never rains but it pours as the saying goes... Today I cut my thumb off while using the bench saw... I have to go over to Newcastle in the morning for constructive plastic surgery... It's in the same Hospital that fixed my back, hell I like the place, but I don't want to be making it an annual trip out... :foreheadslap:

That's NOT good to hear Geoff. Hope all goes well with the surgery. I will keep my fingers crossed, ( but well away from bench saws) :lol: for you.

Lets know how you get on.

Regards. Peter.

#10 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

Hi Geoff,

In Germany the equivalent to "Fingers Crossed", for good luck, is to "Press the Thumbs" ! Let's hope you still have the option of doing either. :praying:

It is however great to hear that you've made such good progress with that back of yours but why, oh, why, did you have to go and do this ? :shrug:

Was it a kind of masochism or just a scaled down version of, "Saw the lady in half" you were practising to amuse those eleven grandchildren ? :idea:

Wishing you all success with the op. and for the future, :bow::bow:

Tel

#11 MushroomBill

MushroomBill

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oxfordshire. UK.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

Ouch.

:waytogo: <-- hope it is sorted for you asap.

#12 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

So sorry to hear of this latest misfortune. Hope it mends quickly

#13 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Yikes! That sounds painful. Did you cut the whole thing off or just the tip? Either way, here's hoping they can make it whole and fully functional again! :fingerscrossed:

-Dan

#14 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

I'm really sorry to hear of your accident with the table saw . :( My wife hates it when I use any power saw, I think she can spot a accident waiting to happen, which pretty much describes my work style. The only time she fondly remembers me working with a power tool was the time I dropped my Palm sander on my lap :foreheadslap:
I hope all goes well with the 're-attachment of the thumb, ask the Doctors if they can verify your age by counting the growth rings on your appendage before they stitch it back on.
Please take care and good luck on a quick recovery Geoff.
Stay Well
Grey

#15 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

As a sawyer of some 30 years and a woodworker for most of those, I say best of luck and a speedy recovery to you, Sir!

And...

"Let's be careful out there".

#16 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

Cut your thumb off >>>> NOT GOOD ! I learned long ago ( the hard way BUT not as hard as Geoffs) that spending "good" money for an overhead guard
was a reallllly good idea ..

http://www.tools-plu....html?utm_me...

Bob G

#17 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

The surgeon managed to re-construct the thumb using bone from my forearm, further surgery will be needed but that is a while off (at least 8 week)... They may remove one of my TOES and graft it onto my hand to give me a better grip... :D

#18 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Geoff, you don't fool around when you hurt yourself, that was some serious accident.I'm sorry about the attempt at misplaced humor in my post earlier. Please take care and get well.
Grey

#19 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Hi Geoff:

Thanks for the update! Sounds like they're doing all they can for you. Here's hoping for as full use of the thumb as possible!

-Dan

#20 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Geoff, best of luck to you and I hope you get some use out of the thumb (or toe!) after all the surgery. As a musician on the side, a loss of the thumb would be devastating for me. I know they have really improved surgery techniques for attaching fingers. Good luck and be careful!!

#21 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Geoff, you don't fool around when you hurt yourself, that was some serious accident.I'm sorry about the attempt at misplaced humor in my post earlier. Please take care and get well.
Grey

Don't worry about the humor Grey, it helps to laugh... I just got an image in my head of you dancing around, with the palm sander slowly climbing up your leg... :lol:

Attached Files

#22 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

You certainly don't do things "in half" measures, Geoff, do you ? (Or perhaps you do) ? !@#$%

Still, remember you're British, so, stiff upper lip and "thumb" up ! :waytogo:

Sorry mate, but I just couldn't resist. :bigblush:

Seriously though, you have been through the wars since we met in London those few years ago where I met a guy of great character and humour who since, hasn't had it at all easy and by now, deserves a real span of good luck.

May the operation on your thumb be fully successful ! :praying:

Best regards,
Tel,

Hey, just an afterthought, if they take that digit off your foot, you'll be able to suck your toe again; for the first time in around, what, 65 years ? :step:

#23 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

Hope all goes well Geoff. Sounds as if you are in good hands. As Tel says, you are due a spell of good luck. I know all here will be pulling for you. :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

As a follow up to Tel's "toe sucking" it puts me in mind of the little boy who was born without eyelids. The doctor said they could circumcise him and make eyelids with the foreskin. His mother was unsure asking, " would that not make him cockeyed". :rofl5:

Regards. Peter

#24 coutleef

coutleef

Skylab

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

good luck with your recovery Geoff.

these plastic surgeons make miracles these days with reconstruction

#25 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thirteen years ago I helped extricate a co-worker from a sawmill edging machine. The fellow had gotten his hand caught between a steel plate and a six inch corrugated drive roller. His hand was between those two objects, with the drive roller spinning for approx. one minute.

Today Travis has a fully functioning hand...and it is a testament to the techniques and skill of the surgeons and to the hard work Travis put into his rehab.

Better days await, Sir. Good Luck!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics