22 replies to this topic

#1 killerclown

killerclown

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon Springfield

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Howdy folks been reading a lot of valuable things on this forum Board
I just purchased my first Orion xt-8 dob classic been using a http://www.opticspla...4-luminova.html for the past 11 yrs so pretty excited about this purchase except the broken finder scope and 4mm plossel eye peice that came with it. So Orion was tryin to sale me this item
http://www.telescope...Form&keyword...
Is this a good purchase for a 1st time buyer ?
(within my budget)I've had the lens from the tasco that I've been using the last few days are not the best of lens also I'll be buying there 9x50 finder scope because I would like to view the moon of course but I've only been able to view planets on the tasco I live in the city so there is light pollution but also plan on going some where high and dark to see a lot more than I have even been able to see so any insight would be appreciated ty for your time

#2 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Welcome killerclown to CN's By the way one of my favorite movies :)

Congrats on the XT8, that is a great scope.. My 8" Dob was my 4th Telescope I picked up and that wasn't to long ago. I use mine for DSO but I also check out the moon and planets as well. I also picked up a TelRad for my Dob its been a very good upgrade I must say.

#3 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hi killerclown and welcome to Cloudy Nights. The second link leads to a blank Orion search page. You probably won't get much use out of a 4mm eyepiece. Was the finder scope broken in shipping?

#4 killerclown

killerclown

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

ok hope this link works
http://www.telescope...5-Premium-Te...
I bought this scope off ebay fer a steal of a price but the lister forgot to mention that the finder was missing the plastic lens in order to see the dot and the tightening bracket was broken since this is a big step up from my tasco question is there any other (kit w/o filters) I only ask this due to I have not had the luxury of owning a new to me scope mine are hand me downs and would like to have some new lens since this DOB will last me till I can afford a 12"
I'm looking to purchase some sorta lens set tomorrow but not sold to which (brand)
The Orion dealer wants to sale me there best item but I have been told (filters) would prob never get used. I do not know this to be true or not only filter I've ever own was a green for the moon and never used it
once again ty for the words of wisdom and help

#5 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hello and welcome to CN!

I would suggest that you consider looking at purchasing 2 or 3 decent quality eyepieces instead of a kit. Generally they contain eyepieces that you would not use due too some being too high of magnification for your scope or average seeing conditions. Maybe consider eyepieces that would give you a low, medium and high power ranges. Something like 24 or 25mm for low power; 13 to 17mm for mid powers and 8 to 10mm for high power viewing and purchase a decent 2X Barlow that will basically double each of your eyepieces. To view certain types of nebulae an 1.25 inch OIII filter or UHC filter works really well. I like the 8x50 or 9x50 RACI finder scope on my dob and refractor. And as some one has already mentioned, a Telrad is a very good investment to use in conjunction with your finder scope.

Good luck and clear skies!
Gary

#6 exmedia

exmedia

Ranger 4

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

Welcome to Cloud Nights! As a fairly recent newcomer myself, I will say I was really glad I purchased an eyepiece kit similar to the Orion (mine was Celestron). It is good to have an inexpensive eyepiece collection right out of the box, because once you start asking folks here questions about which eyepiece to get, it's gonna get ugly. While you're deciding which expensive ep you can't afford, you'll be able to actually use your telescope. Check out the eyepiece forum and you'll understand what I mean. As far as the filters, yeah, the only one I use is the moon filter; however, I can't remember seeing inexpensive eyepiece kits without filters.

Good luck!

Richard

#7 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

... I will say I was really glad I purchased an eyepiece kit similar to the Orion (mine was Celestron) ...

If you decide on purchasing an eyepiece kit ... and I think they represent an excellent value ... go with the Celestron kit. Pick one up at Hayneedle for $135 with free shipping:

Celestron Eyepiece Kit

#8 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

I'd buy one ES 82* eyepiece (I love the 11mm and it barlows well), and get the plossel set/kit used on CN or Astromart. You really don't need the filters at this time. When you do decide to get filters, get the UHC and the OIII filters first, and if you get a third, get an H-Beta. If you are doing planetary/lunar, you really don't need a filter, they're fine on their own. The plossels, at high power (above 10mm) and above will have very tight eye relief. If you wear glasses while viewing, forget them; if not, they would be useable, but you might have to clean them more often. You will find that wide-field eyepieces are easier and more comfortable to use with a dob. You will be spending more time viewing and less time nudging. If the ES82*s seem out of your league (the 11mm is $99), then maybe consider the AstroTech Paradigms. Basement level widefields would be the Orion Expanse/Clones. The 9mm and 6mm will work well in that scope, have decent eye relief, a 66* FOV, and clones can be found new for around $40 or so. For now, continue to use the 25mm plossel as your finder, down the road, you'll want a low power widefield as well.

#9 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hello and Welcome to Cloudy Nights,

IMHO the best eyepiece kit for someone who isn't quite sure about what they want is an inexpensive 8-24 zoom (Celestron or Zhumell) and a 2x shorty barlow (Astrotech). All in for less then $90. Errr- OK make that $95...

#10 killerclown

killerclown

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Just picked up the celestron kit for $114 of amazon now to find a collimator and a finder scope ty all for the words and help of wisdom

#11 Muleya

Muleya

Ranger 4

• Loc: Harrisonburg, VA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I don't think you'll go too wrong getting the kit...that's how I started out. I don't use many of those EPs anymore, but it helped me decide what focal lengths to get in better quality EPs.

I recently acquired a second kit with a used scope I bought and gave it to my dad. He had a couple plossls and an Orion Expanse that we gave him for Christmas a couple years ago...he really likes the Expanse. And he is buying my XT8i this fall (upgrading from his XT6i). I imagine this kit along with the Expanse he has will be all he really uses...though we might give him another Expanse as a gift sometime.

The only downfall with the plossls is that at higher magnification, the smaller field of view means you don't have long before you have to move the scope...and the limited eye relief can get annoying. For those reasons, I was very pleased upgrading to the Explore Scientific 82 degree EPs for use with the 8" dob...I got an 11mm and 6.7mm and really enjoy them. The Orion Expanse EPs are nice, too, if you're watching your budget.

#12 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Agena Astro Products sells Expanse clones for a very nice price labeled as Enhanced Wide Angle eyepieces. Have a look at the 15mm, 9mm and 6mm if you already have the typical 25mm plossl that's normally included with the scope. They will give you comfortable eye relief and wide field views. Agena also has a selection of finders that will fit your Orion scope such as the 8x50 RACI.

#13 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Welcome to CN Killerclown! That's a fine scope for just about every object. A finderscope and Telrad will prove invaluable over time. For collimation, a good Cheshire will help. Orion has a collimation video with a Cheshire which will be of help.

#14 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

Welcome aboard, killerclown.

#15 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Welcome aboard! An 8 inch Dob is a great place to be.

#16 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

Welcome fellow telescope guy or gal. That eight incher is a right nice telescope. You'll want larger later I'm sure. We all do.

I don't go mobile anymore. Just ain't no place anymore one can get away from street lights. We are a scared society. So I'm on a concrete pier with a wedge and I look at things. I think the street lights just make my pupils go small. Once under the shroud, I get dark.

#17 killerclown

killerclown

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Ok update: Got my new celestron eye piece kit (Wednesday) now I'm ordering a 9x50 finder scope (be here next Wednesday) and a collimator I'd like to rebuild my DOB base lookin at this web site not sure what to go with I'm going to make the base a full circle not the triangle bottom base plate that came with it these are fairly cheap to buy and I think the smooth movement of it will be suffice
http://www.vxb.com/p...CFZF7QgodRFIAjw

#18 astrophile

astrophile

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Chaise-lounge, 18x50s in hand...

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

I'd hold off on that ball-bearing ring...there's a good reason the premium dob builders use teflon/plastic/ebonystar for their bases, not roller or ball bearings. It may well make things way too "free"--you need a bit of friction in there for control, and for when the base isn't PRECISELY level.

If there's currently too much 'stiction' in the azimuth movement, there's a trick you can do with circular cutouts from plastic milk jugs. I can't remember exactly how many--three, I think--but you do them in 5-6 inch diameter, cut a hole in the centers, and stack them on the center axis between the ground board and the mirror box. The idea is to redistribute just a bit of the weight off the stock contact pads. I did it with my 4.5" classic Orion dob, worked like a charm.

For confirmation of this, exact details, and other ideas, do some searching on the CN forums for DIY improvements to Chinese dobs, there are some great 'hacks' out there.

#19 killerclown

killerclown

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

thnx will give that a shot still want to eliminate the triangle bottom board thou will be today's project

#20 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

thnx will give that a shot still want to eliminate the triangle bottom board thou will be today's project

Hi:

I am curious why you want to eliminate the triangle bottom board. Structurally, I see no advantage to a circular board, the Teflon pads should sit right on top of the feet so the load is directly transferred.

Jon

#21 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Welcome aboard!

#22 killerclown

killerclown

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

The Teflon pads are ruff and not smooth making turning it a little difficult (hence) the reason I was going to build a new base. It should be much smoother to much friction for my liking that's about it

#23 killerclown

killerclown

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Ok so I didn't rebuilt the base I kept it the same. I did thou go buy some teflon furniture sliders used my belt sander to sand them down to correct thickness drilled a hole and just used 1 of them for a spacer (instead of a milk carton)On the bottom bolt on the base works like a charm and has the smoothness I was looking for. I'd post a pic but don't see that option on this forum

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics