• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boblakewood

boblakewood

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vlg of Lakewood IL

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

I am thinking of going smaller. The CPC11 is kind of a hassle to carry and set-up and I am looking for something I can easily carry around. As they say, the best scope for you is the one you use.

Anybody migrate from a C11 to a 8SE or CPC8? How was the experience? Do you miss the bigger scope? I would expect solar system views to be about the same, but DSO's not anywhere as good as when viewed through the larger scope. I live in a red/orange location. Don't travel with the CPC11 because of the hassle, but may travel more with a smaller scope. And then again, maybe not.

#2 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Mariner 2

• Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

I just migrated from a Celestar 8 to a CPC 1100 and the views are just astounding and I yet to take it out under dark skies such as a star party. My club's regular observing location is in the yellow zone (typical SQM readings of 19.55 to 20.24). Even views of solar system objects, Saturn for instance, seem more detailed.

I love my C8 and still have it. However I would definitely miss the views. I wonder if a 9.25 might be a better decision.

-Mike

#3 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

I currently own a CPC11, LX90 8", and NexStar 6SE (among many others).

No question, the 11 is a bit of a beast. The 8" is way lighter and smaller, but still a bit of hassle, and still requires 3 trips out the door-- 1 for the ota, 1 for the tripod, 1 for ep's and etc. While the 11" is observably brighter, the 8" doesn't lag THAT far behind. I think you'd be fine with an 8", but, at the same time, you'll likely miss the 11" aperture at least a little. You may observe a little more frequently in exchange for that, though.

With the 6SE, I can get out the door easily, with everything, in one trip. This makes it hands down the best grab and go in my somewhat extensive collection of scopes.

So, you -might- consider keeping the 11, and adding a used 6SE for grab and go. These show up pretty frequently on the used market at good prices as folks move up in aperture. I bought mine used.

I'm not actually proud of my large collection. I could observe happily for years with any one of them. The sheer volume of stuff involved, not to mention the money, weighs heavily on my mind. For that reason, I humbly suggest you keep yourself 'limited' to 2 scopes that serve wildly different purposes: one dedicated to dark sky and/or longer nights (CPC11), and one dedicated to getting you out the door easily and quickly (6SE, or a small refractor on a light alt-az mount-- just to get away from electronics).

#4 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

I have both CPC1100 and Celestar C8. Visually the CPC1100 brings in much more detail, but AP or Video wise there is not much difference btwn the two. If your primary use is visual I think getting a C6 and easy tripod setup would be way better for travel than a C8 and required mount for the C8. Alternatively, I would suggest maybe considering getting a smaller refractor like an 80-100mm for grab-n-go.

I know its not answering your question directly, but if you can afford it, keep the CPC1100 and invest in a smaller C6/refractor for grab-n-go. If you sell the CPC1100 and go smaller I think you will miss it. A C8 or C6 is more portable, but frankly the resale value of CPC1100 is low... Although I suppose you could probably get a Cg5-AGST C8/C6 and a small refractor for the price of the CPC1100... yet I reckon you'd miss the light grasping power of the CPC1100...

Al

#5 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

A larger scope is capable of showing more than a smaller scope. Of course, that only holds true if the larger scope is actually used...

In my observatory, I have a CPC 1100. I used to have a 'portable' orange tube C11. However, I used to be younger, too... My current portable scope is a CPC 800.

The only experience I had with an 8 SE left me quite unimpressed regarding stability. But, it's 1/3 lighter (and less expensive) than a CPC 800 so you have to consider the tradeoffs involved and decide which factors matter most to you personally.

If you belong to an astronomy club, find out if anyone has a CPC 800 or 8 SE and ask if you could see them in use.

Don:usa:

#6 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

One of the things I really like about the NexStar 6 SE is that it's rock solid on the mount it comes with. I really, really admire how easy it is to get that little scope and mount out the door. Very hard to beat as a small scope option. I'd only consider it as an option, though, if you (OP) are going to keep the CPC11, which I think would be a good call unless you are really finding the weight prohibitive.

#7 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

I'm considering a C8. Have not pulled the trigger on one yet. Maybe this fall.

#8 jambi99

jambi99

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Québec, Canada

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

I personally was thinking about it for a while.I do have a bad knee and even at my age ( in mid 30's and in good shape) it is always an hassle. Have you ever thought about getting a scope buggy ? Thats what I'm planning to do. At least to built one. I also have a C8 and i will probably get a nexstar SE mount while my original one is now dead. As mentioned earlier i would keep the cpc and get a smaller one like a nexstar 8 SE. The money you will lost while selling the cpc will cover most of the what you will have to spend for a smaller scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics