• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

• Vendors
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

Skylight Telescopes: A (very) brief history...

In 2005, I left full employment to pursue other options and created Skylight Telescopes; initially envisioned as a place for Vintage gear (particularly long focus refractors) which I felt were overlooked.

In 2007 the new Skylight Telescopes website was created. At the time, it's gallery & picture displays made this a striking and different looking website. It's vintage & antique galleries were a unique feature.

In 2009, after approximately 18 months of thinking/designing/working, I presented my first Skylight refractor design: The Skylight 4"/F15. I felt this design was a welcome return of Victorian inspired elegance (NOT steampunk please) and a noticeable difference to the masses of short, white, mass-produced refractors. This was quickly followed by the Skylight F13 (using the excellent Carton 100mm/F13 objective lens), the 60mm Skylight Mini, and the Skylight 6 Observatory class refractor.

Other than the Skylight 6 (still available as a bespoke custom order only), all these Skylight refractors are no longer available.

In their place now resides one of the most ambitious & prestigious Skylight designs to date: The Skylight AR101/15 with its' exclusive TeleVue objective lens. :cool:

The high specification nature of the Skylight AR101/15 placed demands on the old web design that were too much for the old format. The attention that the AR101/15 design has been receiving further demanded something equally high spec. With this in mind, the Skylight Telescopes website has been completely redesigned from the ground up.

The vintage/used/antique galleries are gone, replaced with a product showcase dedicated solely to the Skylight AR101/15 & other Skylight designs. Please visit it here: Skylight Telescopes/London

Please check it out, bookmark it and share it as widely as possible to friends, colleagues, & fellow Astronomers?

Thanks for reading & all the best from sunny London! :shocked:

Attached Files

#2 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

:waytogo: :waytogo: ...and the most beautiful scope made today IMO!

#3 ianatcn

ianatcn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Hi Richard,

I enjoyed the new website. I am looking forward to seeing more special projects added in the future. I take it you are open to quote for mounting up any lens in cell within reason?

My new AR101/15 has made me hungry for more!

Best wishes,

Ian

#4 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Now that is a work of (he)art. Absolutely stunning.

#5 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

• Vendors
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:22 AM

:waytogo: :waytogo: ...and the most beautiful scope made today IMO!

Thanks Bill... :rainbow:

I enjoyed the new website. I am looking forward to seeing more special projects added in the future.

My new AR101/15 has made me hungry for more!

Best wishes, Ian

Thanks Ian,

I'm really pleased you like the scope. I have been surprised with just how good the satin white colour looks. :cool:

Although I have no plans at this time for a project to follow the AR101/15, there are a couple of custom one-off designs in progress. These can be very time consuming, so I take them into consideration on a case by case basis.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics