•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skylight: A brief history and the all-new website

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

Skylight Telescopes: A (very) brief history...

In 2005, I left full employment to pursue other options and created Skylight Telescopes; initially envisioned as a place for Vintage gear (particularly long focus refractors) which I felt were overlooked.

In 2007 the new Skylight Telescopes website was created. At the time, it's gallery & picture displays made this a striking and different looking website. It's vintage & antique galleries were a unique feature.

In 2009, after approximately 18 months of thinking/designing/working, I presented my first Skylight refractor design: The Skylight 4"/F15. I felt this design was a welcome return of Victorian inspired elegance (NOT steampunk please) and a noticeable difference to the masses of short, white, mass-produced refractors. This was quickly followed by the Skylight F13 (using the excellent Carton 100mm/F13 objective lens), the 60mm Skylight Mini, and the Skylight 6 Observatory class refractor.

Other than the Skylight 6 (still available as a bespoke custom order only), all these Skylight refractors are no longer available.

In their place now resides one of the most ambitious & prestigious Skylight designs to date: The Skylight AR101/15 with its' exclusive TeleVue objective lens. :cool:

The high specification nature of the Skylight AR101/15 placed demands on the old web design that were too much for the old format. The attention that the AR101/15 design has been receiving further demanded something equally high spec. With this in mind, the Skylight Telescopes website has been completely redesigned from the ground up.

The vintage/used/antique galleries are gone, replaced with a product showcase dedicated solely to the Skylight AR101/15 & other Skylight designs. Please visit it here: Skylight Telescopes/London

Please check it out, bookmark it and share it as widely as possible to friends, colleagues, & fellow Astronomers?

Thanks for reading & all the best from sunny London! :shocked:

Attached Files

#2 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

:waytogo: :waytogo: ...and the most beautiful scope made today IMO!

#3 ianatcn

ianatcn

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Hi Richard,

I enjoyed the new website. I am looking forward to seeing more special projects added in the future. I take it you are open to quote for mounting up any lens in cell within reason?

My new AR101/15 has made me hungry for more!

Best wishes,

Ian

#4 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Now that is a work of (he)art. Absolutely stunning.

#5 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:22 AM

:waytogo: :waytogo: ...and the most beautiful scope made today IMO!

Thanks Bill... :rainbow:

I enjoyed the new website. I am looking forward to seeing more special projects added in the future.

My new AR101/15 has made me hungry for more!

Best wishes, Ian

Thanks Ian,

I'm really pleased you like the scope. I have been surprised with just how good the satin white colour looks. :cool:

Although I have no plans at this time for a project to follow the AR101/15, there are a couple of custom one-off designs in progress. These can be very time consuming, so I take them into consideration on a case by case basis.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics