Your Opinions: Tasco 10TE

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

May I have you learned opinions on this scope?

The description of the diagonal has me concerned; can it be swapped out for a modern one while a replacement is sought?

TASCO

#2 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Looks good, those are very nice classic scopes. You should be able to pick up a nice hybrid diagonal pretty easy. That is a good price.

#3 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

If that deal was here, I'd be over there with cash.

#4 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

Hi Portland Moon,

I have/had a few of these. The price is good. The star diagonal with a loose prism shouldn't be a deal breaker for you. You can tighten it up if it isn't chipped. Buy a diagonal that will fit the scope but will also accept 1.25" eyepieces
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_eda9.htm

If the diagonal isn't repairable I'll gift you one.

I have to tell you that I have a 10te I plan to sell soon but I'd hope to get a bit more than $150 for it. I also have to tell you seeing this CL ad makes me want to buy it so please make a move soon and remind the seller to remove the ad as soon as it is sold (i.e. after you buy it)! :lol:

other keith

Attached Files

#5 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

I'd buy it for $150 and I'm not even in the market.

#6 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm going in. Wish me luck.

#7 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

luCk!

A lot of telescope for the money.

#8 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

Ok, I'm in! Meeting in the morning.

Astro Buddies, what should I be looking for that would tell me this is a no go?

(This will be my first real vintage scope, so I could now eat dinner here at the adult table!)

#9 Stargoat

Stargoat

Ranger 4

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

Good luck on getting the scope. Well worth $150.

Please let us know the serial number on the focuser and what the REG NO plate reads on the upper lid of the wooden box. The wood box may or may not have the Styrofoam inserts.

This is the 10TE-5 model and has the mounting holes for the clock drive. Vintage from 1965 thru 1973. We can nail that down much closer depending on more detailed information if you get the scope.

Stephen

#10 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

Too late. After setting an appointment with me to see the scope, I just got an email that he sold it.

grumble...

:tonofbricks:

#11 Stargoat

Stargoat

Ranger 4

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

Ok, I'm in! Meeting in the morning.

Astro Buddies, what should I be looking for that would tell me this is a no go?

(This will be my first real vintage scope, so I could now eat dinner here at the adult table!)

First thing I ask about the the main objective. If there are any scratches/clamshells or fungus/mold. Since it has the main objective dust cover, that is always a good sign.

The two elements will have alignment marks. If they line up, that is another good sign that someone has not taken the objective apart to fiddle with and possibly did not get it back together correctly. This is a major cause of the tiny clamshells. If real large clamshells, well it must of suffered a severe blow, albeit dropped or ran into a door jam or header when moving in/out of the house.

Look to see if the pinion is bent or rack damaged. If smooth operation, then it should be fine.

If no instruction booklet, download the one on line at Robert's site to see if all the parts are with the scope.

See Classic Telescopes 1966 10TE-5 Manual

Stephen

#12 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

Thanks for all your help. Wasn't meant to be. At least I understand now what to look for so that continues my education.

#13 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

Hi Portland Moon,

I have/had a few of these. The price is good. The star diagonal with a loose prism shouldn't be a deal breaker for you. You can tighten it up if it isn't chipped. Buy a diagonal that will fit the scope but will also accept 1.25" eyepieces
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_eda9.htm

If the diagonal isn't repairable I'll gift you one.

I have to tell you that I have a 10te I plan to sell soon but I'd hope to get a bit more than $150 for it. I also have to tell you seeing this CL ad makes me want to buy it so please make a move soon and remind the seller to remove the ad as soon as it is sold (i.e. after you buy it)! :lol:

other keith

Hey Keith:

Keep me in mind when you sell that 10TE, since the seller finked out on me here on this one.

And thanks for the offer on the diagonal. You're very kind.

#14 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

I'd hate to think somebody sniped me after I posted my question about this. Because the seller informed me that the buyer is a guy from The Rose City Astronomers. And just maybe, that person found out about the scope right here.

I'll never know. But the whole way this transpired smells funny to me.

But I appreciate all of you helping me.

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:58 AM

I'd hate to think somebody sniped me after I posted my question about this. Because the seller informed me that the buyer is a guy from The Rose City Astronomers. And just maybe, that person found out about the scope right here.

I'll never know. But the whole way this transpired smells funny to me.

But I appreciate all of you helping me.

Thom:

I have owned a few of these scope. Very nicely made and nice to look at.

I am curious what you were hoping for with this scope? As collectible scopes, they are nice scopes and they provide decent views. But they are also under mounted and quite awkward to use. You have a nice 80mm F/7.5 ED/apo on a solid Vixen Polaris mount. In my experience, that will show more and be easier to use than this Tasco would have been.

Jon

#16 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

To be honest, I liked the looks of it. Aesthetics. And, I was curious how a scope from the 60s performs. On reflection, it's best that it got away.

#17 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

In retrospect, if the diagonal with the stripped set screw had been otherwise ok, you could have always filled in the hole and touched it up nice and invisible and then drilled and tapped a new set screw hole a little over from it. Just sayin.

When I do business, if someone calls and is coming to see something, subsequent offers go on the next chance list in order. You might loose an immediate sale if both subsequently decline, but not your honor.

But then, I'm never that eager nor glad to sell something I have anyway. Caveman wanted to trade one of his treasures for one of mine but I couldnt bear to part with anything of equal value to his once I thought about it. so no deal. That's just me I guess. your mileage may vary.

#18 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Yes, Gregg--I was raised the same way.

#19 semiosteve

semiosteve

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NEOhio

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

By coincidence, I picked up a Tasco 10te yesterday. It is true that it is so long that it is a bit awkward to view with. And it is true that the mount takes a bit to damp vibrations. It is also true that it gives apo-like views as I found last night. And it is also true that it is just very appealing aesthetically. Let me put it this way, my wife wants to rearrange the furniture in the living room and have the scope live there when not in use. Never thought I'd hear her say that in my lifetime....LOL

#20 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hah Steve--my wife said the very same thing we she saw the picture: "hey, that's nice looking!"

I like old things. I have vintage ukes because I like preserving and using them. They were built in America and they work.

It's a beautiful scope. Someday I'll have one. When it's right.

#21 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Sorry to hear about that Thom. I would hope that nobody here trumped you on it via inside information but I am sure it happens. You'll find another if you keep looking, they do come up fairly regularly. They made a lot of them. They are good scopes. Just keep looking.

#22 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Sorry the seller chose not to honor your interest and place. I guess a bird in the hand is sometimes worth more than a person's word.

There has been a recent bloom of Tasco 10te's showing up on CL and eBay. Both of the eBay telescopes sold for a bit less than $200. IMO still a good deal for a very handsome classic telescope.

Sears, Mayflower, and Scope also marketed this same (Royal Astro) telescope with variations of tube and trim colors, and/or mount design. There are probably at least a few more out there yet to be found.

Unfortunately for some folks the item they have for sale remains so until they get the money regardless of what they might tell you in an email. I had a pretty bad experience involving a telescope on craigslist. I found something very special and rare. The ad just said "telescope". The owner thought it was Chinese because everything was written in Japanese!!!! The price was about 1/3 maybe 1/4 of what I would have thought it was worth. I wrote 3 folks on CN classic forum PM's to verify what I was seeing was what i thought it was. Through emails with the seller I agreed to buy the telescope for his asking price. I explained to the seller what he had and why I wanted it. I arranged for my son to pick it up and pay for it when he got back into town (where the scope was, a few days wait). Everything seemed good with the seller. He even replied to another CN classic forum member that answered the ad after me that he already had a buyer (me). The day before my son was to pick it up I got an email... "sorry the telescope sold". As if the telescope did this in spite of his best efforts to prevent it!

It showed up a few days later in a thread on this forum. :tonofbricks:

The buyer of the Tasco last night may not have seen your post before contacting the seller. There are a lot of eyes on CL looking for classic telescopes or just bargains in general.

#23 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Well, life is sometimes crazy. See this THREAD.

#24 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Well, life is sometimes crazy.

TRUE THAT!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics