• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 epdreher

epdreher

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Republic of Texas

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

Subject text edited on Jul 23 to reflect my satisfaction with customer service.

My wife and I brought home a new AR152 OTA today. I spent some time balancing and adjusting on our mount and was happy how well it went. Until...

...We removed the lens cap. Several large specks of lint, as well as oil spots were on the inside of the front element. Talk about a real letdown.

Has anyone experienced this? I'll be returning the OTA to the store in the morning, and calling ES on Monday. Would I be out-of-line in asking ES to be sure they actually inspect the replacement that I'll be asking they ship to the local store? This is completely unexpected.

Thanks for any and all answers and suggestions.

#2 aorion314

aorion314

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

alphaorion314 here, not out of line at all, perhaps a few select adjectives may also be warranted, however, you do not speak of the place where you purchased said scope, ? was this a return from said shop or some shady action just to be sure you know where the problem lies with.

#3 epdreher

epdreher

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

The store was OPT in Oceanside, CA. As far as I could see, it wasn't a return. Packing inside and out appeared to be "virgin".

#4 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

• Loc: Tennessee

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

I woud talk to Lance at ES. They are great to work with and I am sure they would need and like to know this. It is a great scope and I really like mine. I know they test them but that spot would not show up in the optical test they do. They need to know this as they may need to add visual inspection as well. It is a lot of scope for the money.

#5 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

Note to self: "unpack and inspect at time of purchase, prior to leaving store."

#6 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

Note to self: "unpack and inspect at time of purchase, prior to leaving store."

No *BLEEP* man what were you thinking?? :shocked: :foreheadslap: :shocked: Mike

#7 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

yes talk to Lance at ES. I recently got a used 152 and was missing parts. after a few pic emails with lance I had everything I needed in the mail on its way to me.
Lance bent over backwards to solve any problems I had with a used scope. I'm sure they would do more for you with a new one!

#8 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Memphis, TN

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

Sorry to hear about that. :( When I got my AR152, it had a bad focuser. I called ES and had a new focuser within a couple of days. ES has great customer service, and as others have said, they will surely take care of you and make things right. Keep us posted on how it goes.

#9 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

+1
They are great! I sure hope they win the Meade buy out deal!

#10 DaveG

DaveG

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yep, Lance is the one to talk to. ES customer service is excellent and will take good care of you.

#11 epdreher

epdreher

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Follow-up. OPT had another in stock. We opened it at the store and found lint between the elements on this one too.

I'll be calling Lance tomorrow. Thanks to all for your replies and help.

#12 ghostrunner007

ghostrunner007

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

My es 127 mm had lint on the inside but l called es and lance told me what to do to get the lens cell off and I cleaned it and put it back together. Never had the lint reappear and it was not hard to clean it

#13 galaxyman

galaxyman

Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

• Vendors
  • Loc: Limerick, Pa

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hmm :question:

ES was suppose to be testing each scope, so this "stuff" should be caught before sent to the vendors for sale.

My 6" optics were completely clear of any foreign substance, as was my daughter's ES 5".

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Galaxy Log - http://www.youtube.c...65?feature=mhee
Galaxy Log Blog - http://galaxylog.blogspot.com/
HASB - http://www.haveastellarbirthday.com
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

#14 epdreher

epdreher

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

Follow-up #2:

I just got off the phone with Lance. No one exaggerated as to his being a great guy. We spoke at length about this issue which he saw in older stock, which involved the flaking of the paint inside the tube which would adhere to the lens surface via static electricity. He assured me this has been addressed with the newer models, along with a focuser improvement.

I ordered one directly from ES, and he promised to hand-inspect the scope before shipping.

Definitely great customer service. I'll follow-up later after first-light, if the normally clear So. Cal weather will cut me a break.

I foresee a monsoon the day of delivery. ;)

#15 Mike4242

Mike4242

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Memphis, TN

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Great news! I'm glad they took care of it for you.

#16 SkyGibbon

SkyGibbon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Everyone seems cool there. Had some questions on their ring sets and adapters, and whoever I was talking to gave me exact ADM part#s for what I needed. Also was honest in telling me their website listed some unavailable items (which happened to be a ringset i desperately wanted). But, at least he was honest and upfront. My 127 came in flawless, but then again it was shipped to me from ES directly.

You will love that scope

#17 epdreher

epdreher

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

I'm pretty excited. But the best part: It's actually my wife that bought it. She's been interested in astronomy almost as long as I have; since the late 1960s. It's been her "some day" goal to have a 6" refractor for some time.

I'm a lucky man to have been with this woman for over 41 years, and have a life-long mate that shares almost all of my hobbies and interests.

#18 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

• Loc: Tennessee

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'm pretty excited. But the best part: It's actually my wife that bought it. She's been interested in astronomy almost as long as I have; since the late 1960s. It's been her "some day" goal to have a 6" refractor for some time.

I'm a lucky man to have been with this woman for over 41 years, and have a life-long mate that shares almost all of my hobbies and interests.

You are indeed a LUCKY Man!! :D

#19 Pat at home

Pat at home

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

Wouldn't it be interesting to see ES develop a 'chromacorr' for their AR152. I'd seriously consider saving up my allowance to put one on my AR152.

#20 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: On a receiver's back

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Follow-up #2:

I just got off the phone with Lance. No one exaggerated as to his being a great guy. We spoke at length about this issue which he saw in older stock, which involved the flaking of the paint inside the tube which would adhere to the lens surface via static electricity. He assured me this has been addressed with the newer models, along with a focuser improvement.

I ordered one directly from ES, and he promised to hand-inspect the scope before shipping.

Definitely great customer service. I'll follow-up later after first-light, if the normally clear So. Cal weather will cut me a break.

I foresee a monsoon the day of delivery. ;)

ES claims on their website they inspect EVERY scope by hand and check the optics three times. The scope I received from them had numerous scratches on the tube and one of the bolts that holds the framing together the telescope sits in was badly bent and not even in place. Plus one of the screws in the frames hinge was out completely and the other one partially screwed out.

This was not a damage in shipment as the box arrived in pristine condition. The scratches were underneath the tissue so if ES inspects every one of these they have to apply the tissue, right? In that case they should have noticed these scratches in the paint because one of them was an inch long.

Thus far I'm not impressed with ES, but I will say the optics were a surprise.

#21 epdreher

epdreher

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Thus far I'm not impressed with ES, but I will say the optics were a surprise.

We've had several nights with this scope now, and are very impressed with the whole package. No troubles or deficiencies unless one really has to have a rotating focuser for visual use. Your comment on the optics was spot-on. They do a fine job for such a great price.

#22 JimT

JimT

Messenger

• Loc: Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

Wouldn't it be interesting to see ES develop a 'chromacorr' for their AR152. I'd seriously consider saving up my allowance to put one on my AR152.

You would not be alone on that one. I would be all on it for sure. Chromacorr for the ES AR 152 would be awesome.

#23 JimT

JimT

Messenger

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

We've had several nights with this scope now, and are very impressed with the whole package. No troubles or deficiencies unless one really has to have a rotating focuser for visual use. Your comment on the optics was spot-on. They do a fine job for such a great price. [/quote]

Great to hear you are happy with your 152. ES does a great job on customer care.

#24 PatHolland

PatHolland

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Clever, Missouri

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

That's great to hear Jim. I was surprised to read that you got a new scope like that. I've said it before on other threads and I'll say it again, Explore Scientific has the BEST customer service of any scope related manufacturer I have EVER talked to.

#25 JimT

JimT

Messenger

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

Pat

I'm in 100% agreement with you. Nobody has better customer service.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics