•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSLR photometry

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hubert

Hubert

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

Hi guys, I'm starting a new thread instead of responding to my previous thread about the AGB camera.

I'm still thinking about photometry and a can do it with the ST402 ( still haven't bought it ) and my C9.25 but now I'm considering something else.

I have done in the past photometry with my DSLR especially on Eps Aur ( for Jeff Hopkins). Actually I like to do measurements of variables which are currently in the picture. For now the SN in Lac, R CrB, Z UMi etc...

Instead of always doing timings ( which I have done in the past ) I think that I better concentrate on the previous mentioned stars. I think there is no need to buy a CCD en V-filter because I have a Canon 40D and it's perfect for V-measurements via the green channel.

I also going to sell my C9.25 and buy a 8 or 10" f/4 photonewton. With the DSLR and a shorter focal length there is no need for a laptop and guiding.

Any thoughts on this?

#2 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Apollo

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi Hubert:
Since you have already participated in the Eps Aur campaign and have explored DSLR photometry you already know the potential for this sort of photometery better than I do. Having read a bit about it and having seen AAVSO interest growing in DSLR photometic potential, I think you should "go for it."

Re scopes: No advice from me either way.

Good photon collecting!

Ed

#3 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

I have done a fair amount of DSLR photometry with good results, not quite up to par as with my monochrome CCD and V filter, but getting there. A fast Newtonian would be effective, but not necessary. I use whatever scope I happen to have mounted inlcuding my 8" f/10 SCT. The field of view with this scope is a good match for AAVSO E charts.

#4 StarDusty

StarDusty

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Parsippany, NJ

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

I have tried DSLR photometry with a stock XS Canon and a homemade 6" f/5.6 telescope. I used the tutorials found online via AAVSO and IRIS software to pull the Green out of the RGB image. Here is a plate of the result.

Only after defocusing the image during capture did my result fall within expected limits.

Attached Files

#5 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Coolness! I struggled a bit with results that varied from excellent to a tad rough. I suspect that the problem the Orion imaging skyglow filter that I was using clipping the green a bit. Since removing it my results have been consistently very good. I've been using an 8" f/4 and while I have been tempted to de-focus a tad I haven't had the need to do that yet.

Neat stuff.

#6 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

One thing that I find interesting about DSLR photometry is that I get a color image for each variable. The long period varables that I typically observe are among the reddest stars I've seen. In sharp contrast are cataclysmic variables which tend to be blue.

Neat stuff.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics