• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

I'm staying with the extension chord and my wireless router. It take me about 20 seconds more than simply walking to the Pod. Too many regulations (thus $$$) to think about hardwiring. So far the router and the extension chord have not been problematic, but then I do my observing in the observatory. It might be different if I wanted to control all from the house.

Ed

Ed

#27 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Ed,

I've actually been relatively surprised at how reasonable it is to run a 120V/20A circuit out to my shed. The distance involved is 80' and the total cost right now (with me doing some of the grunt work) is going to be about 400 bucks. From a safety standpoint (we have sprinklers and little kids) along with a reliability stand point, I think the cost is marginal to the overall cost of the shed.

Of course, it all depends on circumstances.

#28 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

I've gone the solar route using Harbor Freight panels. Saves a whole lotta trouble.

http://www.harborfre...watt-68751.html

with their weekly coupons, can be had for around $130

#29 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Jeff,

My understanding was that you're not supposed to put direct burial cable (sheathed) in a conduit due to the potential for it to corrode quicker. That could be our NEC versus your own rules.

Anyways, electrican came out and quote me about 200 bucks to hook up a separate 20A service off my house's breaker with a disconnect (as required by code) in the shed. He didn't want to do the trenching, so I'm going to bury the cable for him (12").

I guess my only question now is whether a trencher is easier than a vibratory plow. Anyone have any advice on that?

Thanks,
Chris

I too have a similar job for a work shed not far from my Skyshedpod. Trenching is likely the way I will go. Here in Ontario I have to use one of these methods.

Current Ontario burial cable fact sheet

Sub rule 3 Depending on the conduit, if it is not rated as electrical raceway then burial cable is required. Likely that is the same across Canada as the codes are usually national with provincial addons.
Pierre

#30 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Pierre,

Direct burial wasn't as bad. I skipped the vibratory plow and trencher... turned out to be the smart move too. Our soil is so rocky around here I would've got in serious trouble and it would doubled the cost of this project.

So I've got the wire buried (along with Cat5E direct burial). The guy is coming out on Tuesday to hook it up.

#31 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Rocks are bad!
Pierre

#32 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

Pierre,

You have no idea. :) One of them was the size of a small child!

Chris

#33 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Harbor Freight panels are now way overpriced for what you get. Can get a good polycrystalline panel for the same price, one with a higher output.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics