• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 corpusse

corpusse

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Last night I got home late from work and went straight into my observatory (my skyshed not the dream one). I realized I forgot to turn off the camera in the morning which had been imaging the core of m31. There was no power and for a second I was concerned it was on too long, then I look down the cable had been chewed right in half! there were also other chew marks around it. I'm surprised they didn't get shocked as when the 2 pieces rubbed against each other when I picked them up there was a small spark. For a second I thought about using electrical tape but even in my sleep deprived state I knew better. I've ordered a new power supply which hopefully will work and come soon.

This morning I go back in and notice the celestron mount to serial cable has been chewed right in half too! They are coming in from the botom of the floor where the pier is. I don't think they are actually hoping around the observatory just chewing on what ends up in and around the pier hole.

Funny thing is I've never had this problem the past 2 years however rabbit populations have exploded. They've always been around and most days you will see at least one but now I'm seeing several a day.

I will pick up some chicken wire and maybe some steel wool to put around the hole in the pier. It's always something..

#2 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Could be rats or mice, too; they also like to chew electrical wiring.

I wonder what fried mouse tastes like? Guess I'll never know. :grin:

#3 Tom_H

Tom_H

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Russellville, Ar.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

Yup !
They can be a real PIA... they burrowed under my observatory and caused the piers to sink, facilitating a re leveling job.... twice (2 times)... now I have a stone fa├žade around the whole thing. Don't under estimate the damage they can cause.

Tom

#4 corpusse

corpusse

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

As far as I know there are no rats here. There are lots of mice as well but just tiny ones. Yes it could have been them but I suspect bunnies just because I see them all the time.

It should be relatively easy to keep them out from the top of the pier, if they continue to get under the building they at least won't be able to cause anymore damage.

#5 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

My wife insists that it's the gophers here, but we have abundant cottontails, too. I've never seen the varmints actually chewing on the cord. I operate off an extension cord, and $60 or $75 for a heavy-duty cord that quickly becomes varmint food is, well, annoying.

#6 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

Unlikely to be bunnies. Mice and rats are well known for chewing on electrical cables.

-Dan

#7 ShrekTBA

ShrekTBA

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sheridan, WY

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

We have problems with rabbits here, one friend had them almost ruin a truck that they got into the wiring on it. Many hours to fix it all.

#8 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

How about marmots? They chew on rubbery stuff. I'd get some mouse and rat traps and set them up inside with peanut butter as bait and see what turns up.

-Rich

#9 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

Squirrels will also do a number on wiring. The worst offenders of all are porcupines, which have been known to TOTAL parked automobiles by chewing up everything accessible from underneath the car.

JimC

#10 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Bats are better than bunnies because they eat mosquitos. :bow: :bow: :bow:

#11 corpusse

corpusse

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

Bats are better than bunnies because they eat mosquitos. :bow: :bow: :bow:

And the Bats don't cause any real harm. However they are so scary and the bunnies are cute.

The reason I think it was bunnies is they are all over the place and I have seen small ones go under. I am going to cover the pier hole with chicken wire Saturday. As for the bats up north I am waiting for them to migrate then will seal in that building.

#12 derangedhermit

derangedhermit

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" - Raoul Duke

The bats are great for eating bugs, and fun to watch in the dusk. Build them outdoor homes; guano inside observatory is not good. It is hard to keep them out, though, you have to seal every small crack.

I think just about any animal will chew on insulated wires. My dear wife brought home a pound puppy once, and a week later it ate the $300 wiring harness between the engine and transmission of my truck. Puppy went back, for that reason among others.

#13 Guy Noir

Guy Noir

Mariner 2

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Bunnies are NOT better than Bats

Bunnies eat your carrots and cables and stuff ...

Bats eat their weight in mosquitos ad other nasty bugs each night ... be glad you have bats ... like bees, a very underrated species ...

grumble

#14 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

I think just about any animal will chew on insulated wires. My dear wife brought home a pound puppy once, and a week later it ate the $300 wiring harness between the engine and transmission of my truck. Puppy went back, for that reason among others.

Last year a dog chewed the keys off the keypad (hand controller) for my equatorial mount. The repair cost $320. The guys at Astro-Physics thought it was pretty funny.

#15 corpusse

corpusse

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

A random dog or your dog?

Putting chicken wire around the pier seems to have saved my other cables. I also thought worst case if my other observatory is not completely completely sealed which I do plan on doing this fall I will buy an industrial staple gun and lots of chicken wire and just cover the building with that. Of course I plan on doing a nicer job but if costs soar and I cannot complete it by spring I will resort to that.

#16 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

A random dog or your dog?

Our dog. We have three. At the time I had the mount semi-permanently set up in the driveway, and the keypad fell to the pavement.

#17 ShawnPreston

ShawnPreston

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

I've got bunnies living under my sky shed as well, but my wife won't let me relocate or evict them until we're (she's) sure they can safely live elsewhere.

My plan is to partially bury stone around the outside of the shed to keep them out. I've seen bunnies and a possum to under there since spring.. I'm going to have to start charging rent!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics