Slashdot.com Non-Obnoxious Outdoor Lights

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

There is a thread on a site called Slashdot.com (More about the site below)

The thread is titled:
Ask Slashdot: Setting Up Non-Obnoxious Outdoor Lighting?
...and opens with: "My neighbor recently complained about my outdoor floodlight shining in her window. While trying to address this problem, I read an essay about the tragedy of light pollution..."[links to article about light pollution in National Geographic].

Here is a link to the thread on Slashdot: Slashdot thread

If you are not familiar with Shashdot, uhm. Okay. The name is a pun on html code: /.
It started as a blog 15 year ago, 'News for Nerds' and Geeks. A mixture of "does the new Nephilum bus fit the AXIS architecture to run on tethered tablet...." I made that up, but some of /. is way geekier. That may be followed by a thread about, um, Light Pollution!

Warning: The Cloudynights Terms of Service state that posts should be safe for 14 year olds and older, and CN does not appreciate fowl language, personal attacks, etc., Slashdot is a great example of bad internet behavior. It is the epitome of Darwinian flame wars and ad hominem attacks. Those who are are overly sensitive should avoid.

I go there to treat low blood pressure. :lol:

But, it is nice to see the issue being discussed there. You can also post without becoming a member, as an "Anonymous Coward."

LGM

#2 Jeff Phinney

Jeff Phinney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: CA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

It's been my home page for years.
Always something interesting on there and I'm glad to see the issue of LP getting an airing in that forum. Should make for some "entertaining" reading in the comments section.

#3 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

I read slashdot.org. I have posted there about five times in the last several years. Really its fun to read (sometimes) but I once tried to direct a discussion where a teacher was asking for help in finding a telescope to this site and all I got was allot of know it all know nothings cracking jokes.

The whole forum is like the two old men from the muppets who sat up on the balcony. The problem with Slashdot is that its hard to separate the wheat from the chaff and there is allot of chaff on that board.

They will discuss it, but they won't do anything about it!

#4 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Slashdot.org = total and complete waste of time, in my opinion. Don't bother.

Fred

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics